Finhishing wooden drawer guides

I am making a coffee table, and i'm using wooden rails for the drawers. It is an Oak table. Drawers are poplar with oak rails.

Question #1 - should I finish the drawers

Question #2 - If I do finish the drawers should I tape off the drawer slides and rails be for I spray. I think that the finish would not be good for moving parts. I was going to wax the slides and rails if I did not finish them.

Thanks for everyone advice

Reply to
Jeff Lord

Finishing is personal preference. I always wax my drawer slide parts regardless if I finish them or not.

Reply to
Leon

I use the same finish (generally one of either oil/varnish mixture, sprayed shellac, or wipe on varnish) on all parts that I do on the piece itself, including waxing the drawer runners. AAMOF, my wooden drawers seem to slide better with finish on them than they do raw wood on wood.

Reply to
Swingman

I have used a spit coat of shellac for drawer interiors, other times no finish at all. Do not finish the slides and no wax should be needed if you made the drawer properly.

Reply to
Phisherman

I like finished drawers personally.

As for the slides, my dad gave me a can of Alley Wax (bowling lanes) that I still use. I don't know what is in it, but it is the best stuff I have ever used. The can has lost all the exterior markings sitting in my shop over the years, but it still makes things slick.

Scott Young

Reply to
Young

Thanks for everyones help.