Finally talked to Lee Valley

They are just the nicest folks! I called in with a couple questions and found them super nice and helpful. I'm gonna wait for them to send me a newer catalog before I place my first order...

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

On 05 Nov 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

Golly, Dave, that's just super! Make sure you let us know when it arrives! And tell us everything you can about each item you order, too, 'cause, gosh, we all just live to hear every tedious and excruciating detail of every decision you make! I know I do!

Reply to
Scott Cramer

Yeah they are fine people to deal with....

Uh... you did not sneeze during the conversation did you? LOL

Reply to
Leon

AOL! I know I'd *much* rather read about someone's experience ordering from a catalog than some silly nonsense about making a piece of wood look attractive.

Reply to
Chuck Taylor

I know I would rather hear about a positive experience with a vendor/supplier so I can make a thoughtful desision in the future than sarcastic and caustic remarks about it.

Erik

Reply to
Erik Ahrens

sneeze? what's that about?

dave

Le> Yeah they are fine people to deal with....

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com&lr=lang_en&num=50&hl=en

Priceless.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

the bozos are at it again. I can tell by who's in the filtered messages. Bite me, boys! Will ANY of you EVER grow up?

dave

Wood Butcher wrote: snip

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Normally I'd agree. This time I made an exception for debatable reasons.

If it helps, by all accounts I'm aware of, Lee Valley has an impeccable reputation.

Reply to
Chuck Taylor

Hey Dave, that was funny... Seems like you accused David E. a few weeks ago about reporting each time he sneezes... I was just yanking your chain.. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Hey Dave,

I took a crap today and there were peanuts in it. I'm going to eat corn tonight. I'll keep you posted.

Reply to
WebsterSteve

On 05 Nov 2003, Erik Ahrens top-posted unto rec.woodworking:

Sorry if I caused your BVDs to bunch up, Erik. There was no intention to cast aspersions on Lee Valley - I'm as big a fan as anyone. There's no shortage of praise to be found for them on the Wreck, either.

What there is a superfluity* of is BAD's incessant, generally useless, non-stop blathering about everything, anything, and nothing that prompted my post.

Everyone who disagrees with me is welcome sign in -- I don't think there will be a stampede, however.

Scott

*copyright 2003 S.Cramer
Reply to
Scott Cramer

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I think he posts pictures when he thinks a sneeze is coming on.

dave

Le> Hey Dave, that was funny... Seems like you accused David E. a few weeks ago

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Dear Steve,

I laughed out loud and people around me at looking at me more strangely than normal...

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ

David F. Eisan

is that because you are normally strange?

dave

David F. Eisan wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Future Threads From Bay Area Dave Eisen:

"They Put Bananas In My Cereal Today"

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

dave

Unisaw A100 wrote: snippity snip snip

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Can't answer whether an adjustable mouth is a gimmick or not, but the adjustable mouth is common on some other low angle smoothing and block planes. The Veritas is different in that it doesn't have an adjuster on top of the plane to make the adjustment. You loosen it by turning the knob on top, then adjust it from the underside by sliding it with your finger. The fit is good, but I advise taking it apart and smoothing the casting with a fine file. Just lightly, not too much. If not, I've found that if the casting is rough then the movement is not smooth. Therefore it sticks and you sometimes accidentally hit the blade, possibly messing up the edge. This isn't unique to the Veritas. Most new smoothers (even the Lie Nielsen) may need a little bit of "tuning". The sole/adjustable plate relationship will not be altered when you adjust the mouth. The sole + adjustable plate are always in the same plane. They stay that way even when flattening the sole. I've found the Veritas planes to be the best bang-for-the-buck planes out there. The adjustment is a lot better than the regular Stanley style like the Lie Nielsens. I have both the Veritas and the Lie Nielsen. The Lie Nielsen just sits ever since I got the Veritas.

Manny Livermore, CA

Reply to
Manny

Hi, Manny,

Thanks for the tip on smoothing out the casting a "bit". kinda like smoothing the threads of the arbor on a new Unisaw. Had I not been given that little tidbit of info I would have wondered if Delta's machining tolerances were up to snuff. Fortunately for me, I get great "pre-sales" advice from good folks like yourself.

You are a lot closer than me to Woodcraft, Dublin. Do you ever shop there? I've been there twice, but hate to drive 680, which I did for about 3 1/2 years. Boy do I dislike that freeway. Especially with the concrete barriers on the left edge of the fast lane during construction. That's the only lane I know, except when I have to pull to the right to pass a slow-poke! :)

dave

Manny wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave