Finally got it done

I recall FWW did a mechanical destruction lab test(+) a number of years ago. W/O looking it up, my recollection is that the difference was essentially noise; it certainly wasn't any major difference.

(+) They manufactured various joints from simple lap to full M&T in their shop and took them to a uni lab (I want to say Case Western) where the loading tests/measurements were done in one of their labs. It was pretty well done as opposed to some of the writer-submitted homebrew setups that often lack either control or decent measurement techniques, etc., ...

--

Reply to
dpb

I should clarify that this is my OPINION.

Show me a test with 100 year old glue where the unpinned joints are the same as the pinned joints on pull out, then we can have a conversation. Just MY gripe.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I suppose we'd all have to wait several decades to see when modern glues would give out.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Exactly:

  1. Half Lap = 1603 lbs to failure
  2. Bridle = 1560 lbs
  3. Splined Miter = 1498 lbs
  4. 3/8" M&T = 1444 lbs
  5. 3/8" Floating Tenon = 1396 lbs
  6. Miter = 1374 lbs
  7. 3/8" Wedged M&T = 1210 lbs
  8. 3/8" Pinned M&T = 1162 lbs
  9. 5/16" M&T = 988 lbs
  10. Beadlock = 836 lbs
  11. Dowelmax = 759 lbs
  12. 1/4" M&T = 717 lbs
  13. Pocket Screw = 698 lbs
  14. Domino = 597 lbs
  15. Biscuit = 545 lbs
  16. Butt 473 lbs
  17. Cope & Stick = 313 lbs
  18. Stub Teneon = 200 lbs

Answers, in advance, to the next previous statements made in support of the contention:

Depending upon the grain direction of the traditional tenon, a floating tenon can be stronger.

Pinning the M&T joint actually made for a weaker joint.

Wood, properly glued, tends to fail at the wood and not the glue surface.

No glued joint will not last "forever".

Reply to
Swingman

The only thing left is to paint it white - to match the cabinets. And you're done!

Reply to
HeyBub