end grain definition: finishing question

Hey all,

I am going to make a sunflower mosaic (3/8" grid size) using 12" strips of:

cocobolo (center), that surrounded by osage (turns orangey brown), that surrounded by honeylocust sapwood (bright yellow), and a little holly on the outside as accent. I will then slice it accross the grain (cross cut I guess) to make mosaic tiles for box lids.

I am going to position the endgrain of each osage and locust strip so they 'point' outward away from the cocobolo center (hopefully looking like petals). I want to maximize the grain line contrast, while preserving the color of each wood. When finish is appplied, all the wood will be together as a mosaic, so I think whatever I apply needs to be able to work globally. I have searched the rec, but nothing specific I could find (Flexner's book may come via Santa). Any ideas on this?

Todd

Reply to
Todd the wood junkie