Dust Collection at Altitude

Howdy, I am setting up a home shop and in the process of designing the dust collection system. My location is at 7000 ft elevation so the question is, what efficency drop will the duct collector suffer due to the altitude? Anyone ever dealt with this issue? I called Jet tech support and they didnt have an answer. The books I have read dont even mention effects of altitude on DC performance..... anyone have any input?

TIA, of course

Reply to
Spamless

Even without knowing the power of your DC, any minor loss of air pressure-density will be offset by the ability of the impeller to spin a _bit_ more rapidly. I'll bet that you'll hardly notice a difference, if at all. Tom

Reply to
tom

Figure your CFM requirements as 'sea level' and then add 25% as an altitude adjustment. That will get you close enough.

Woody

Reply to
Tha Anonymous

Not quite.... the static pressure will be less, but the air density is also less.... at 8,000 ft the air density is down 26% from that at sea level.

Reply to
Tha Anonymous

What could you do about it anyway? Just buy a 25% larger DC that you think you need.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

Higher the altitudes the bigger the impeller needs to be.

check out this

simple answer with any vacuum system.

Reply to
beetle21

Reply to
Spamless

There won't be much difference. But I recommend getting more HP than you think might need for other reasons that have a much larger impact. Like curves, turbulence, length of piping, leaks, adding a drop box, exaggerated HP claims, etc. I have a 1.5 HP and really can really use a 2HP, but I use what I got.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
beetle21