Shop vac dust collection: hose sources?

A follow up on the thread on using a shop vac as a dust collector. I have a Ridgid vac with 2 1/4" hoses, however the connection at the vac is of the clip on type (hose end clips in with a small tab, rather than friction fit, so you can drag the vac around by the hose without it pulling out), and the actual vac inlet opening is closer to 2 11/16". I would like to use this as a dust collector on my Bosch slide miter saw, which has a 1 1/2" dust collection fitting. Would like to use about 12 feet of 1 1/2" hose to connect the vac to the saw. I can't find anything like this, there appear to be some places that can make it up, but they're pretty expensive (~$100). Anyone know where I can get a hose of the type I need for a reasonable price?

TIA

Dan

Reply to
Dan

a source for high quality hose of that general type is any swimming pool supply house. you'll have to make up your own ends, but they have the hose.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

Try looking for an adapter to connect a short length of narrow hose to your existing hose.

On my non-slider I just use the full size hose with an adapter directly coupled to the saw.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

The vac hoses I've seen are expensive. At this point you should consider moving up to a DC and use the 4" hoses to draw a larger volume--that will catch a lot more dust and your lungs will appreciate it. A shop vac is still useful to have around.

Reply to
Phisherman

Thanks Chris, yeah I think that would work on most stationary tools like a table saw, but especially given the sliding/compound mitering aspect of this saw, I think the big hose may prove a bit cumbersome. I cound use it for all but the last 5 feet or so, again if I can find suitable

1.5" hose/adapters/couplers.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Thanks for the reply. No doubt a real DC system is much more effective, the problem is, I don't have much room in my garage work space. At the moment I only have the miter saw & a drill press, though I'm leaning toward getting a router table, not sure where I'll put it! Before I moved, I had a Unisaw, I don't even think I could squeeze a contractor's saw in this very tight 2 car garage.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Thanks for the suggestion, worth a look!

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Think duct tape! :-)

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Use sump pump hose, that's about 1 1/2" and a little duck tape to hold it on.

Reply to
tdup2

Thanks, probably not TOOOO expensive, relatively. Great tip!

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I do not know which model of Bosch saw you have, but if the dust port is on the top of the blade guard, then any connection to a vac or dust collector will be ineffective.

I have a Bosch SCMS and even when made a temporary adaptor to directly attach my Fein shop vac, which has the best suction of any of my earlier shop vacs, the result was disappointing.

The root cause is that most of the dust particles are propelled forward and not much is carried upward by the blade.

This is reinforced when I see the latest models which now have dust ports forward of the blade.

What I found worked for me was a happy accident. I had attached the vac hose with a brush fitting of my shop vac to the temporary adaptor at the top of the blade guard. During the cut the vac hose came loose and the brush end came to rest in front of the SCMS head which holds the sliding rods and so the brush was in front of the blade. To my surprise this caught more of the dust than ever before.

So now when I use the SCMS, I merely lay the vac hose and brush fitting in front of the head. I actually leave the blade guard port open and do not seem to be getting any dust out of this port with my arrangement.

Poor mans front facing dust collection design.

Dave Paine.

Reply to
Tyke

Dan... maybe something like this??

mac davis

Ditto. I've tried a number of things with my Bosch slider (again, the as-built dust collection port worked poorly with every conceivable customization). I had finally found a "sweet spot" toward the front, albeit, I'm still trying to figure something better than my duct tape connection to hold in place. Thinking in terms of some type of shroud assembly for that general area.

Reply to
Monroe

I use the crapsman, so I'm not sure who makes it or what brand it's like, but this worked pretty well for me:

I had several old 2x4's that were going to be firewood so I used them to sort of test where the saw was kicking out the most crap... I'd vacuum the area around the saw, make a few cuts and note where it shot the most dust...

It seemed like with or with out dust collection, most was shooting back and down, sort of between the vac port and the zero clearance plate.. I put the bag back on the port and put a DC hood (I think they called it a jointer hood) on the table behind the saw, in the path of the crap coming off the blade... seems to work pretty well for me.. YMWV

Mac

mac davis

Dan wrote in news:ktidnbt3kNo3TEHZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I did this something similar to this with some hose I picked up at the local hardware store to hook up my P-C 89x to my shop vac. The hose was fiber-reinforced to prevent it from collapsing under vacuum. Cost was around $.90/ft. I used a "standard" 2-1/2" multi-step adapter to make the transition from the vac to the hose.

Worked pretty well -- much better than not using anything, and sweeping up after.

Reply to
Reed

Dave-Thanks for the reply. Saw is a 5412, new a couple months ago. Looking at the saw from the right side, if the blade were a clock face the port's at about 10, but since it sits rear of the motor, it forms a scoop down to about the middle of the blade (9 o'clock). I've found without the bag, a fair amount of dust does seem to spew from the port (not that the bag manages to catch much when it IS there ;-/ ) I'll try cobbling up some 1.5" hose to the 2.25" from the vac with duct tape, just to see if the port is effective at all. Again I think since the saw head moves around so much in use these are especially difficult.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Re: port position, I meant looking at the saw from the LEFT side.

Reply to
Dan

expensive. Thanks!

BTW, you're not the Mac Davis who was a singer about a zillion years ago (you know, during the 70's ;-), are you?

Dan

Reply to
Tim Taylor

You're not the Tim Taylor who had a TV show about HALF a zillion years ago, are you?!?

Who'da thought so many CELEBRITIES were into woodworking????

All in good fun. After all, if I'm old enough to REMEMBER this crap... well, 'nough said... ;-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan