dust problem with shop vac

Hello, can any one give me ideas on this i bought a new shop vac and when i am vaccing up dust there is always a cloud around it i am talking bad after useing it the dust is worse than if i never used it i mean in the air and all over everything any ideas the dust is coming out of the blow hole thanks

Reply to
GARAGE OWL

put the filter on

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

Depending on the brand, you may be able to pick up a HEPA filter at the borg which will correct this problem. My Shop Vac was doing the same thing until I replaced the crappy foam filter with the HEPA; no more dust out the top.

BTW, have you tried using the outlet as a source of blow air? I was very pleasantly surprised how powerful the breeze was when I connected the hose to the outlet rather than the inlet... it allows me to blow crap right on out of the garage as well as my dedicated gasoline powered leaf blower.

I bought a Ridgid "muffler" for the top of the vacuum some time ago. Although I continue to use it, I don't know that it really does much. I'd save the money if I had to do it again.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

My suggestion would be to see if there is a "CleanStream" filter available for your particular vacuum. See:

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Reply to
Nova

Nova wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net:

I bought one for my shopvac at sears (it is a cleanstream) I ordered through the web, but they needed a supervisor to find the thing, since the box has a cleanstream SKU, and no Sears SKU. Because it took more than 5 min to get it after I came to claim it, I asked for and got a $5 certificate for my next purchase. I like Sears ...

Reply to
Han

The standard shop vaccum filter that comes on many new machines allows the very fine shop dust you are complaining about to pass through the vaccum and exit back into the air in the vaccum's exhaust streem. The "cloud around it" is this very fine dust. A "CleanStream" after market filter will stop much of this very fine dust from passing through the vaccum. I have been very pleased with how well one of these filters works on my shop vaccum. I think you will be pleased also if you buy one.

Reply to
Joe Nation

filter. No dust gets through, it doesn't plug up anywhere near as quickly as the paper/foam, and you can clean it by knocking the dirt off, brushing it off, or blowing it out with an air gun.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Ummm...this may be a stupid question, but you DO have the cap on the "blow hole" when you are vacuuming don't you? My shop vac actually exhausts the air down towards the bottom of the vac. The "blow hole" has a cap on it that you remove when you want to use it as a blower.

Reply to
Blue

It's a karma thing onna 'count of you don't use punctuation.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Reply to
Keith Carlson

Yes, but not intentionally.

The standard filters are paper. Liquids will destroy a standard filter. The CleanStream is Gortex. Water doesn't hurt it. In fact I clean it by flushing it out with a garden hose.

Nova

Hello, the brand name is shop vac on this and i guess i should of explained it better to the jokesters this is the first time i used the vac so it hasn't been used in water the filter that is on it is a foam filter around the motor bottom the dust i am talking about is i tore down some paster and lathe that is the dust i am talking about plus i have noticed it in wood dust also the dust is coming from the blow hole and from the top of the motor where the cord would wrap around so does everyone agree that i need this hepa filter or what would work the best for me i don't mind a little dust as i am sure we all get but this is bad dust and i have one comment to make to the guy who said my writeing is a carma thing i am sorry about that this is just how i write your comment was hurtful and had nothing to do with what i was asking thanks to the ones that are helping

Reply to
GARAGE OWL

You should read the directions and get the paper filter over that foam jobbie. Yours should have come with one, and the ring which you use to seal it around the foam.

The foam alone is for wet pickup (and gross filtration) only.

Reply to
George

the foam filter is for wet vacuuming. take it off and install a bag. the bags can probably be bought where you bought the vacuum, though not all stores that sell the vacuums sell the bags.

Reply to
Bridger

"George" wrote in news:401e7fde snipped-for-privacy@newspeer2.tds.net:

From a filtration point it is generally better to pull air through multiple levels of filtering where the first level gets the biggest stuff then through finer filter levels. With a shop vac they do it the other way. The put the worst filter, the foam one on then put the paper filter over that.

I have never thought about it but does anyone turn it around? Put the paper filter on first then the foam one over that? It actually seams to make more sense. And the paper filters should last longer too.

Reply to
Joe Willmann

And if you're cleaning up drywall dust, you might need to upgrade the bag to a higher-efficiency type to keep from just pumping the drywall dust out the exhaust. DAMHIKT.

todd

Reply to
todd

Cleanstream filters are available for some ShopVacs. I've used them for drywall sanding and pickup with good results.

Reply to
Eric Ryder

Beyond a scientific doubt, but I wonder that the increased resistance of the foam might not stress the suction too much.

Then there's the ability to shake/brush off the paper versus the PITA of rinsing and drying the foam, lest it ruin the paper, ....

Reply to
George

If you don't mind being tied down a bit, connect an elbow and enough 2" ABS drain pipe from the blow hole on the vac to reach outdoors through the door or window while you vacuum the shop. That blows the fine stuff outdoors.

Another solution which is better: Get a good cyclone dust collector system that gets the dust when you create it, keeps your shop clean, and you get to breathe clean air. Helps avoid asthma, cancer, emphysema, and a bunch of other bad things that can happen if you breathe wood dust. Bill Pentz nearly died from wood dust, and he had a regular dust collector PLUS a respirator! He has built a very good web site on dust collection at

on that site is the design for one of the best cyclone systems on the planet. I have exclusive license to manufacture units based on that design, and have a kit and matching blower housing currently in production. Details are at

kit I produce is well received as indicated at

there is also a picture of an assembled unit being installed.

Wood dust in a shop is not something to be treated lightly! It can literally kill you if you breathe it, and it is a known carcinogen (causes cancer).

Clarke

GARAGE OWL wrote:

Reply to
Clarke Echols

There is a key on your keyboard that has a little dot on it. It's called a period. These are commonly used to indicate the end of a sentence. I suggest you use it. If this hurts your feelings, I am sorry, but you obviously don't have a clue how difficult it is to read your posts. It may be the "way you write", but it indicates that you really don't give a rip about those who might try to read your posts in an effort to help.

Reply to
Blue