Downsizing

On 9/24/2019 8:50 PM, Clare Snyder wrote: ...

I think what's putting most of those on the market is the small battery-driven ones have gotten to the point that power and battery life is that they'll do almost everything the tailed version will.

I've been duly impressed w/ the DeWalt 20V models the contractors for the house have been using -- and the hardwood flooring guy is using one as well. I'm truly tempted, myself...

Is the Skil the venerable worm drive? I'd pay shipping and a small stipend if it's in good shape if you don't want it...

Reply to
dpb

Clare Snyder on Tue, 24 Sep 2019 21:56:00 -0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Only three. Unlike drill bits and drills, and .... soldering irons are not something I have been able to work with enough to actually use the "one" I have.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I got a 30 watt and 100 watt pencil iron, heat gun, several propanes and oxy acetylene. I had a Miller TIG years ago along with an SB 13 and Cincinnati horizontal. Now I'm just a old man that doesn't do much of anything except hang on to my tools.

Reply to
gray_wolf

I only have 3 as well. They're nice ones so they get treated very nicely. It's worth it to buy good irons, and I don't mean that $20 Weller at Home Depot. (I was surprised to be so disappointed with a Weller product. That tip was garbage!)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I'm a man, and I'm terrified of those circular saws! It doesn't stop me from using them, though. I just check and double check my cut paths, my set up, etc to make sure that saw is going exactly where I want and no where else. Holding a piece of wood in one hand and the saw in the other is not happening!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

My biggest issue with the darn things is they stop cutting the instant you cut through the cord.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

My Bosch has no permanent tail, you plug an extension cord in it. But cutting the extension would still be a problem. :(

Reply to
Markem

Many years ago I went on 3 week camping/cabin build vacation. Power tools running on generators. On the first day the land owner told us how he once put his circular saw down on the cord and cut it.

"Don't cut the cord" became the saying of the build, with multiple people yelling it out just about every time a circular saw was turned off. Kind of a rolling, echoing chant of "Don't cut the cord!", "Don't cut the cord!", "Don't cut the cord!"

On the final day that I was there, I put my circular saw down and, yep, I cut the cord. The saw (and generator) made a weird sound as the cord wrapped itself around the arbor. There was silence on the work site for a second or so until a new echoing chant started: "He cut the cord!", "He cut the cord!", "He cut the cord!"

One of those "You had to be there" moments that formed a lifelong memory.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Weller makes the best irons on the market and they also make some at the other end of the spectrum. I have a couple of the WX2 units on my bench at work. They go for over $1000, so they'd better be good. ;-)

I don't remember the last time I used a soldering iron at home.

Reply to
krw

This one is not - but I have a Skil worm, drive saw as well. It's old enough to draw social security and not the prettiest - but it still works just fine. One HEAVY mutha though - - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Only a fool does that - one who wants to be known as "lefty"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Haven't done that yet - but I've killed a few (saw) horses - - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

On 9/25/2019 7:16 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote: > On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 17:58:54 GMT, Puckdropper > wrote: > >> pyotr filipivich wrote: >>> >>> Only three. Unlike drill bits and drills, and .... soldering >>> irons are not something I have been able to work with enough to >>> actually use the "one" I have. >>> >> >> I only have 3 as well. They're nice ones so they get treated very >> nicely. It's worth it to buy good irons, and I don't mean that $20 >> Weller at Home Depot. (I was surprised to be so disappointed with a >> Weller product. That tip was garbage!) > > Weller makes the best irons on the market and they also make some at > the other end of the spectrum. I have a couple of the WX2 units on my > bench at work. They go for over $1000, so they'd better be good. > > > > I don't remember the last time I used a soldering iron at home. >

I have a Weller and Radio Shack corded pencil type, and a couple Weller pistol type. The Radio shack does just fine although the Wellers get more use. I used the RS just a few days ago. That being said I like the old Radio Shack butane soldering pencils better than either of my Weller butane soldering irons. There are times when only a butane iron will do... like yesterday repairing a run cap connection on a pump motor in a wet environment. Now if only I could find my can of Scotch Coat.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

On 9/13/2019 8:54 AM, Puckdropper wrote:> I don't have as much shop space any more, as my shop now has to share > duties with a garage. > > So between a bandsaw, jointer, planer, RAS, table saw, and circular saw, > what tools can be combined to cover the basic operations we need to do? > Crosscut, rip, and maybe resaw. I'm not sure I trust my RAS to rip, > it's missing important pieces like the anti-kickback pawls. > > Puckdropper >

Sorry about all the tangents, but thank you for this thread. It has produced many entertaining and educational posts.

Bob

Reply to
Bob La Londe