Dovetrail Bit

Opened up a new Dovetail Bit yesterday and looking at it thought that the shank was too long. I installed it as is with well over an inch protruding from the collet. In use there was some serious chatter. So I took it out and cut about

3/8inch off the top and it works fine.

Strange! Its a Porter Cable Router and a Porter Cable Bit.

Reply to
Joe Bemier

You need to remember, each time you use the router, that you already put an o-ring in the collet. They add up!!! Interesting problem/solution. One to remember. Thanks for posting it.

Reply to
sailor

What tool did you use to cut the shank of the bit?

Reply to
RayV

Reply to
Pat Barber

Sawzall with a Bi-Metal Blade. I believe, because it is a carbide tipped cutter the shank, etc is fairly soft steel. If it were a High Speed Steel cutter I might not have been able to cut it so easliy. After cutting I beveled the top edge with a file.

Reply to
Joe Bemier

2880196
Reply to