Source wanted for non standard router collet

Hey All, I just started looking around for a collet for my Porter Cable router that is designated for 8mm router bits. I am already using the collet adapter but I would prefer to have a simpler setup, much like the Festool routers. I did not see any on the various retail websites I visited and the PC website only shows 1/4 and 1/2 inch collets. If anybody has any info please pass it along. I also thought about buying another 1/4 collet and machining it out but I'm afraid I might take away too much material to make it safe to use. Any thoughts on this approach? Thanks for your comments, both serious and not. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

--------------------------- First place I'd look is P/C customer service.

See if they offer the collet as a renewal part.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

luck! N

----------------------------------------------------------- Posted using Android Newsgroup Downloader: ....

Nemo

Like this?

Why an 8mm collet? Are there bits not available in 1/4" or 1/2"?

Reply to
krw

There are some applications where 8mm bits are highly preferred .. .. .. SOME of the setups on my LEIGH JIG call for a bit in either 1/4" or 8mm but the 8mm is much more rigid and less likely to chatter, therefor, a much cleaner cut.

Reply to
"<<<

Hey KRW, Thanks for that link, I never thought of checking Highland. Most of the bits I am using on my Leigh jigs are 8 mm. I have used the 8mm adapter in my 1/2 inch colletswhen I do work at home but I often get a chance to use a Festool router with the 8mm collet and I prefer the simpler setup. I know I could buy the Leigh bits in 1/4 shank but I have a reasonable supply of 8mm. Thanks again for the suggestion and also to Lew, thanks for the recommendation to check Porter Cable- I had planned to so but as soon as the working week started- I was just searching at the moment while the thought was fresh in my mind. =20 Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

Just wondering what I'd ever do with the 9mm collet. Good enough. Thanks.

Reply to
krw

I have an 8mm collet for my Bosch router to work with the Leigh 8mm router bits but to tell you the truth I prefer slipping the 8mm sleve inside the

1/2" collet.
Reply to
Leon

Hey All, Thanks for your suggestions and comments. Leon, why do you prefer the sleave vs the direct collet? Also, going along with Lew's suggestion I did contact Porter Cable and their representative said they only sell the 1/4. 3/8, and 1/2 inch collets. However, a guy at Highland Woodworking told me that the 8mm collet that they stock is a Porter cable product. I told him about my conversation with PC and he went on to tell me about PDC being bought out by Stanley, and so on. and so on and that they have different stock sources. So anyway, we'll see how it works when it arrives. Rout on! Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

Hey All, Thanks for your suggestions and comments. Leon, why do you prefer the sleave vs the direct collet? Also, going along with Lew's suggestion I did contact Porter Cable and their representative said they only sell the 1/4. 3/8, and 1/2 inch collets. However, a guy at Highland Woodworking told me that the 8mm collet that they stock is a Porter cable product. I told him about my conversation with PC and he went on to tell me about PDC being bought out by Stanley, and so on. and so on and that they have different stock sources. So anyway, we'll see how it works when it arrives. Rout on! Marc

For me it is a lot easier to pull the sleeve out when I don't need it and want to use the 1/2" collet. If you use an 8mm collet you have to screw the 1/2" off and the 8mm back on. Then reverse that to go back to the 1/2" collet. I know that is trivial but my Bosch has fine threads and the removal and replacement does take a lot longer than simply turning the router over to let the sleeve fall out. No difference in performance.

Reply to
Leon

There is a seller on Ebay who has a set screw type device that holds .125" bits that will fit in a 1/2" collet in the Porter Cable router. A lot of the CNC router guys use the PC 892 with them so they can hold the small bits for detail work. If that is what you were referring to I guess I can not be of much more help.

K2 CNC is one of the vendors for them. Since they make them in house they may be willing to make you some in 8mm. They may even have 5/16 in stock which is very close to 8mm. (7.9375mm)

Reply to
Bob La Londe