Disston Saw "problem" (gloat)...

Hi everyone,

My dad passed on about 7 years ago and left me a bunch of tools - mostly mechanics type - rachets, wrenches etc. He loved to tinker with cars etc & taught me a lot.

For some reason, today I cracked open an old wooden toolbox which (I think) belonged to a friend of his who was a carpenter way back when. It is a custom-made toolbox, but really beat-up. Looks like someone made a hard living hauling this around from job to job for framing and rough carpentry. I suppose that my dad took it in exchange for some mechanic work since he owned a service garage back in the 60's.

Anyhow, there were 7 or 8 saws in the box that, although obviously worn, really caught my eye. The metal was tarnished and a little rusted (although they had been preserved with a wax coating of some type). I "saw" the Disston name and this rang a bell as to something I may have heard about here on the wreck.

A little googling and sure enough, I discovered that I have a nice bunch of hand saws which probably were made from around 1900 or so until the late 50's.

Being a Normite, I have seldom made use of a "hand" saw, but now I have gained sort of a respect and reverence due to the obvious wear and "provenance".

I certainly don't intend to sell them, but I would like to use them to a certain extent.

Now, SWMBO is very understanding about my hobbies, but I think there is a line on displaying handsaws in the family room!

I had in my mind to build a sort of "working display case" in the workshop in my basement shop. Something simple that would display these old beauties as they are, but allow me to reach in and grab one for the use intended (seldom though that may be). If some sawdust built up in the case over time, so much the better.

Any other suggestions?

Lou

Reply to
loutent

You never know. I've got a couple 200+ year old molding planes in the living room. SWMBO likes them.

LD

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Very cooool.

Either get a couple professionally sharpened as a rip and a crosscut or learn to do it yourself - using handsaws can be very sweet and satisfying when they're sharp.

Nice gloat.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

[snip]
[snip]

Google "saw till"

Marc

Reply to
Marc Wolfe

I hang mine from a nail in the basement rafters.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Thanks Marc - I never heard of a "saw till" before. Some neat ideas.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

's what I'm going to make, RSN. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Careful! I started out with a couple of old handsaws and now have some from several different old makers, most from the 19th century.

Not to mention about a dozen different kinds of sawsets.

It's addictive :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard