Different Woods for Panel and Frame?

I am building a butternut cadenza, and never thought that butternut plywood for the panels wasn't available. Well, I found some very dark hickory plywood. If I put a golden oak stain on it, it is nearly identical to the butternut finished with BLO; both in grain and color. The problem is how to assemble the frame and panel. I can't prefinish the frame because then the glue won't work properly. I am thinking about finishing the panel and putting satin poly on it. Then assembling the frame. When I put BLO on the frame, it should rub right off the poly on the panel. Does that make sense? Any better suggestions?

Incidently, if you haven't tried it, butternut with BLO is really pretty; it looks like strongly grained teak.

Reply to
toller

that should work fine. if in doubt, test.

Reply to
bridger

You can also dry fit the frames, mark where the pieces fit, tap that area off and finish.

Reply to
Leon