5.2mm frame and panel

Been lurking for a while, first post. Anyone have experience with using 5.2mm plywood in frame and panel furniture. I really like to cut my slots with the router, but have found that 5.2mm is a lot smaller than my 1/4" straight bit. MLCS sells

5.2mm bits (They also sell 5.2mm slot cutters). So here is the question.
  1. If you use a 5.2mm bit or slot cutter will that create a slot that is too small for the ~5.2mm plywood +glue +plywood thickness variation? the 5.2 I have been using is bookmatched birch and seems pretty consistent.
  2. What would be better a router bit or a slot cutter. Seems like a slot cutter gives you more wood on the table but also seems like the more treacherous to use.

Some additional info

5.2mm = .2047238" Size of the plywood 3/16" = .1875" Clearly too small 7/32" = .21875" perhaps an option but it is hard to find this bit. 13/64 = .203125" Just a little too small doesn't seem like this would leave space for glue.

Wyatt

Reply to
hikinandbikin

IMHO the router is too slow for cutting groves in wood to accept a plywood panel. Use you TS and make 2 passes. Turn the board around for the second pass and your slot will be perfectly centered.

Reply to
Leon

I used my router the last time with a 1/4" bit and it worked fine. I just had the problem of having to shim the plywood as it was too thin (5.2mm). I assume when you say too slow you mean feed speed. This is not a concern but notably I have a Craftsman tablesaw that I don't trust much in the way of square and clean cuts and a porter cable router that is always perfect. W

Reply to
hikinandbikin

Perfect except you have shim the plywood. I have done both for many years. The TS is the way to go unless you simply like using the router and the shimming, and the noise, and the..... ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Ridge Carbide sells a dado blade intended for exactly that purpose. That's what I use...

Doug Miller

Your Craftsman table saw should do that job very nicely. Lots of us use them and other brands to do like work every day. It sounds like you need to spend a little time tuning up your table saw to cut reliably and accurately. It can be done.

I'm also wondering why you want to glue your panel in your frames? Your panel should be floating in your frames. Am I misunderstanding your intent? As to the precise size matter, I'd use the 5.2mm bit if you don't want to use your table saw, and touch your plywood with a little sandpaper to shave a whisker off for the fit you desire.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You are calling out measurements to 5 or 6 decimal places. If you have a

13/63 bit use it and if you need to make the slot wider put a strip of scotch tape on the edge of your router base and you will widen the slot. You could also just file or sand a small bevel on the plywood and tap it in the slot.

A router bit in a piece of lumber probably cuts a swath just a little wider than itself anyway.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Thanks All I appreciate the responses. Good call on the glue I can get the 5.2mm router bit for 9 bucks. Notably I was just giving the measurements for a frame of reference. I have actually spent a fair amount of time tuning up my tablesaw. I just haven't had the time and money to go and buy good pulleys and a new belt for my saw, as a result the blade vibration is too great for much precision. W

Reply to
hikinandbikin