dewalt sander problem

I have a 5" random orbit sander that seems to have lost it "random orbit". It acts like a free spinning disc sander. Any ideas on how to fix it short of taking it to a repair shop?

Thanks, Kris

Reply to
speedbuggy

eganders

They took it out and used it to make the DeWalt badge.

There's a plastic doohickey inside, or rather there isn't any more. These things break as soon as you look at them - one reason I'd avoid DeWalt kit. Common spare part though.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Me thinks that sneaker designers are working on the latest rash of Black & Decker tools. There's more Jell-O in the handle of a B&D drill than there is in Celine Dion's* head!

*(substitute you favourite politician) or your favourite Jeep Cherokee's suspension: got to love this review:
Robatoy

My B&D drill works fine. OK, so it's 40 years old and I wouldn't trust anything they've made since, but...

Brits _hate_ American cars. And Jeeps in particular. The fact they're garbage isn't entirely unrelated.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 02:22:07 +0100, the inscrutable Andy Dingley spake:

(Hey, my old B&D routah has a micrometer feed. It was way ahead of its time. It's a true 1-1/2 hp model which is probably as torquey as a 3hp today. Don't knock 'em, Rob.)

Yeah, I just put a 1/2" chuck on my 25 y/o B&D, and I still have Dad's 40 y/o model to use when I'm not using the cordless.

And we 'Murricans just love your lovely Lucas products, too, Andy. ;) Y'think it has something to do with shipping parts across the pond at triple price markups, too, besides the "being junk" part?

I love that writeup in TIO. "It still looks like a Made in China pastiche of a Jeep from the outside and, as with all Chryslers, it has an indefinable "NHS" feel inside - you know, cheaply plastic and greasy like an overused out-patients waiting room." Har! Michael Booth has a wonderful way with words and he ain't shy to use 'em.

---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment

Website Applications ==================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Lucas stuff has been pretty reliable since around 1990. I take personal credit for a _little_ of this.

American cars are still fairly cheap in the UK. But we've never understood the "off-road" thing. 20 grand's worth of new Jeep with the bottom broken off it and stuck fast in Wales whilst a shit-heap of a 30 year old Landie bogglers happily past it is great fun - so long as you're in the Landie.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

(snip)But we've never understood the "off-road" thing. 20 grand's worth of new Jeep with the bottom broken off it and stuck fast in Wales whilst a shit-heap of a 30 year old Landie bogglers happily past it is great fun - so long as you're in the Landie.

One of my other hobbies is mud pit racing (with an old chevy 4x4 truck no doubt) and I've tore up many a jeep in the pit. IMO "Trail Rated" is a term used by Jeep instill some sense of false confidence that their stock vehicles can take that type of abuse. I know better. "Jeep, it's what's for dinner" --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

What changed, other than Jaguar instituting receiving inspection with the result of rejecting 100% of the Lucas components provided to them?

One can break a Land-Rover too--it's all in how you drive it. For that matter you can break a tank. Somebody who's been driving that stretch of country for 30 years in a Land-Rover probably has learned the hard way what he can and can't do. Someone with a new Jeep probably hasn't.

Jeep in the US has a voluntary training program for new Jeep owners.

Reply to
J. Clarke

It needed the plastic ring and a new sanding pad. The bearing was fine.

Reply to
speedbuggy

ohhh, I'm not knocking the old B&D. I had a small version..I bought it

1975-ish...orange. Die-cast. Sturdy little thing. Wish I had kept it. It had a wee little thumb-wheel adjustment on it ..it was nice. Only 1/4" shank though.

Btw, I put that URL to the Jeep review in my post because I had this 'Hippo on a water bed visual' and laughed me arse off.

Reply to
Robatoy

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:44:26 -0400, the inscrutable Robatoy spake:

Mine has a lever clamp and linear dialed rack and pinion. Shiny steel body sleeve, argent painted aluminum/mag base and black plastic. Model 7614. Pretty cool old dog. Full 1/4" arbor. ;)

Oh, she caught you in a weak moment, too, I see. I'm so -very- glad I quit drinking.

---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Actually, it indicates that they have been tested on a particular stretch of trail commonly regarded as fairly rugged and have crossed it at the hands of expert drivers without damage. They're not intended for mud pit racing, whatever that might be, they're intended for getting from point A to point B and back.

Reply to
J. Clarke