Desk height?

Is there any standard for desk heights? All that I measure are between 29" and 30". However, the 2 secretaries I have measured (I am building a secretary) are

26".

I presume this is because they don't require clearance above the knees for drawers.

Reply to
Toller

On the secretaries I checked, the drawers fit plenty snug and don't need any extra clearance above the knees. One was blonde and one was a redhead.

Reply to
My Old Tools

Sorry, it was too easy. Most desk chairs are sized for a 30 inch high surface.

Reply to
My Old Tools

standards: height to work surface - 28 - 30"

width 36 -42

depth 18 -24

this is from Nick Engler's Woodworker's Wisdom.

highly recommended.

dave

Toller wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

We build these things quite often, building cabinets for a living and building them on a 32mm system ( a whole other topic) our desk heights come out around 31" to the top of the worksurface. I was always taught growing up that 30" was the standard, but if you get a person with large thighs at the desk or they are using the under the counter keyboard trays, the extra inch is always appreciated. Mostly, check and see who is using it and what they like if possible. What works for the intended use/person is what is correct, this may not end up being an industry standard.

Reply to
Dan

or that they take into account the height of a typewriter (remember those?)

Reply to
Bridger

That is pretty typical for traditional desks.

Many work surfaces that are intended for a computer keyboard and mouse are at that height to give better ergonomics.

Reply to
Bob Haar

exactamundo. I'm 6'5" and built a desk for myself that is a good inch or more above standard desk heights, so that my legs wouldn't hit the underside of the pencil drawer.

However, the OP's question was merely about standards.

dave

Dan wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I consider 30" standard for desks, 26" for keyboarding workstations.

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

My antique secretary is 30", has 3 drawers below the folddown.

HTH, Scott

Reply to
Scott Brownell