Delta GR-050 POS (WARNING)

After much searcing the last few days, I must warn you all that the Delta GR 050 grinder is a piece of s--t. I hadn't used mine in a while, and didn't realize the leftover grindings had dried in the bottom and formed a sort of concrete down under the wheel, basically gluing it in place. I had poured water into the trough and turned it on. The grinding wheel immediately shattered into 3 pieces. It is made of a very soft material, and the center is splined, so the torque of the drive shaft is sufficient that that little bit of leverage is all it takes to break it.

Oh well, I thought, I'll just order a new wheel. But, Delta's web site showed no parts could be ordered. Went to my local authorized Dewalt/Porter Cable/Delta repair place - he can't get it either. He gave me the toll-free number for Delta: "No, sorry, no replacement parts".

Googled all over, can't find anything similar size. Specialty shops want double the price of the ^%$@#$$!! machine to make a wheel. It appears Delta is now in the disposable machine business now. I will certainly be wary on future purchases!

Reply to
ktl

Uh, is this the one that was on sale at Lowe's for $20? I didn't realize this was a water grinder.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

According to the manual it is. Odd sized wheel, 4-1/2x1-1/2.

To the OP, grinding wheels are generally not considered to be repair parts, they're consumables like sandpaper. And "double the price of the machine" if it was 20 bucks is not unreasonable--you'd pay that much for a couple of decent wheels for an ordinary bench grinder.

Reply to
J. Clarke

It is a $45 pice of equiment, you expect too much! How old is it? It has a 2 year warrany, maybe you can get it replaced. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

According to the description at Amazon, it is a wet/dry grinder. It is also supposed to be warranteed for two years. Why didn't they just replace it?

Mike Beede

Reply to
Mike Beede

But the point is that if they can afford to sell the complete machine for $20 WITH the wheel, then they should have replacement wheels for that machine available for a reasonable price. The OP indicated that they are not available at all which is wrong, any way that you look at it and double the price of the machine IS unreasonable.

Reply to
TBone

Reply to
Eddie Munster

You're right that they should, one would hope, have replacement wheels available as accessories. As for 20 bucks, that was a Lowes clearance price as they unloaded their Delta stock after deciding to drop the Delta product line, that was not the normal price and may well have been below cost.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Probably worth a shot, but I suspect that Delta would call it "abuse".

Reply to
J. Clarke

The user's manual says to drain the grinder after each use. Maybe this is why.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I looked it up too, is it Delta's fault the OP did not follow the directions in the manual?? Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Never used a Dremel tool, eh? There are plenty of products that are initially very cheap, and then cost a lot more than the original sticker price to keep in service. I imagine they sell the original product for little or no profit, and intend to make it up via the accessories and consumables.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Uh, _what_ "accessories and consumables"? For that machine the Delta site lists exactly _no_ accessories, consumables, or spare parts.

And I do not recall ever paying more than the cost of a Dremel for any single grinding wheel or cutter that fits into it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

No, but the OP (me) expected a (once :-( ) PREMIERE company to have a part that is that easily worn or broken. I guess this happened because we bought a new house last year and a lot of my tools got grabbed up and stuffed into boxes by peoples other than myself during the move...

Of course, if you disassemble the machine, you will see that there was never any intention for it to be serviced by the owner. I'm just shocked my local authorized repair man can't fix it, either. So, my only reason for posting was to warn future Delta buyers to beware their now "disposable" machines. And watch out: I saw many web sites still selling this POS for the full $50 price. $20 is the most I'd give for it.

I guess that's to be expected when B&D aka DeWalt aka(Delta & Porter Cable) are all the same bunch. Soon we can purchase all brands of B&D crap with our favorite names, just not our expected quality. I have avoided B&D and Crapsman (except for hand tools)for years now due to questionable quality.

OTOH, I have a nice reversible 170 rpm drive mechanism that runs on 120v AC.

Yipee!

Anyone have a good stone and burnt motor to trade me?

Reply to
ktl

You mean Dremels cost a lot in accessories or they cost a lot to keep running? I've never had to spend money to keep my Dremels running. Accessories now. . .

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent

Reply to
rcook5