Discontinued Delta Bandsw tires

I have a Delta model 28-195 10" bandsaw. Yesterday one of the tires broke. I called Delta, that model is discontinued; therefore the repair parts are discontinued. They will not support it at all.

Does anyone know of anywhere I can get a tire? It's polyurethane, crowned, on a 10.5" wheel and 1 11/16" wide.

Given Delta's attitude the only alternative I seem to have is throw the whole saw in the garbage.

I bought a Unisaw two years ago and now I'm worried. I suspect I'd better buy some spares while Delta is still supporting it; it would be an expensive tool to have to junk out.

Reply to
Edgar Svendsen

Check for other 10" bandsaws---there's little difference. You'll have to crown the replacement yourself--there was an article in FWW a few years ago on how to do it.

Whole different class of tool...no comparison.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Give these folks a try:

them. Their staff is quite knowledgeable about what you need. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Is it delta"s attitude or Black & Decker's attitude ??????

Reply to
O D

ummm, your unisaw has tires?? --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

I have been traveling and doing the Woodworking Shows across the country. I work daily with the crews from Delta, Porter-Cable, and Dewalt. I have been to Black & Decker University and I am very pleased that I have worked with and met most of the top management from Black & Decker in the woodworking department. Everyone has been so nice and so very professional. Everything I hear and my gut feeling is that Black & Decker will be good for everyone. Black & Decker is investing a lot of capital into their brands to make them better and to make them even more of a good value.

I do not know how to put this in nicer words, but that 10" bandsaw is made for a light duty occasional use and I believe that it sold for less than $99.00. This saw should be purchased for a child's hobby. I always refused to sell it for I knew that it was a low end worthless saw and only someone very frugal would even buy one. To be upset with Delta for not having replacement parts for it is unfair. IMHO

Now if you had spent $800.00 for a real bandsaw and could not get parts for it, then I too would feel your pain.

Good Luck, Mike from American Sycamore

Reply to
mike from American Sycamore

oops forgot to mention:

Carter Products Grand Rapids, MI

616-647-3380

for replacement bandsaw tires

good luck, Mike from American Sycamore

Reply to
mike from American Sycamore

As others have said, you can easily find aftermarket replacements. How about this one?

your unisaw, I presume you're referring to the 3 V-belts. Not to worry. If they break, just go to your local auto parts store (for example Napa), or your local metalworking supplier (for example McMaster Carr). They'll have the right size, with quality better than the original. Or switch to linkbelts.

Reply to
AL

While I have no reason to doubt your observations, Mike, for some reason the words "Black & Decker" are just not associated in my mind with quality ... and I'm as suspicious of the ultimate outcome of that association as I would be if Lee Valley were taken over by Home Depot.

In my mind it goes straight back to the fallacy in thinking that is perpetuated in MBA schools - that you can "acquire" instead of develop, and "manage" without the knowledge that development imparts.

Just look around ...

Reply to
Swingman

In 1999, Pentair, the owners of the tool group companies, Delta, Porter Cable, and Devilbiss Air Power changed from a philosophy of independent autonomous companies to one of consolidation and globalization very popular with the consultants that many in top management had been. It was a complete disaster for all stake holders (stock owners, customers, distributors, suppliers, etc.). Their ulitmate solution, sell the group to B & D.

Having lived through that horrific transition up close and personal, it is hard for me to imagine B & D being anything but an improvement. But time will tell.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Which very nicely illustrates my contention above.

I hope you're correct. Just in my short time a marked downturn in Delta's product quality is very noticeable. I just don't see B & D as the white knight to reverse a declining tool quality when they were not noted contenders in that department to begin with.

I guess what triggered my response was my contention that all the "professionalism" exhibited by B & D that Mike was remarking upon is just window dressing, IMO.

Granted, spit and polish in the military fosters "professionalism" and discipline, but that's not all it takes when the mud, the blood, and the gore from charging the hill to gain an objective takes the shine off the belt buckle.

Reply to
Swingman

It is not Delta nor Black & Decker fault....it is the stupid American consumer....Read the average post here on the rec..."I want to buy a new bandsaw and I want to pay $150.00 for it! What do you think?" Well I think that for $150.00 it will be crap...that is what you want to pay, that is what you are going to get, and that is what you deserve. Everyone wants top quality, but very few are willing to pay for it. During my show tarvels I get hundreds of questions on how can I get my $150.00 band saw to preform like your $800.00? You can not....Do not blame the manufactures for building the products into the price point that the custyomer wants to pay!

good luck... Mike from American Sycamore

Reply to
mike from American Sycamore

Amen, brother! :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I would agree that the consumer is not as smart as he used to be ... but using that as an excuse for poor quality pretty well confirms that neither is management.

That seems to fly directly into the face of your original implication about B & D, to wit:

No doubt there is validity in what you say. Too damn bad the offshoot is that quality is becoming so rare that, even if you are willing to pay, it is becoming difficult to find.

However, I am having difficulty in looking to B & D to rectify that.

Once again, my point is that what you are observing with B & D is no more than the trading upon the _perception_ of past quality by those historically incapable of producing same.

Reply to
Swingman

Wal-Mart mentality.

Let's not forget that the purchaser should be paid top dollar for what he does, but everyone else deserves minimum wage. If the employees of the businesses he patronizes look like they're making a decent living, he's getting ripped off.

I'm with ya', brother...

Reply to
B a r r y

There's not an "excuse" of not as smart consumer -- the problem is that quality and support take $$ to produce--it doesn't come for free. Somewhere that cost has to be recouped or the price point has to go down. For the typical consumer-level goods, there appears to be too small a purchaser group willing to pay the price.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Reply to
John Dill