Delta DC-380 Planer Wont Start

I need some advice here.

I turn on the planer and the motor starts spinning. A few seconds later the breaker pops.

Its a 20 amp breaker.

I figure its either the capacitor or the centrifugal switch.

I've taken it apart and the switch looks clean, and there are no obvious bulges on the start capacitor.

I think its the capacitor just because I think its more likely to go bad than the switch.

I guess capacitors are cheap enough I aught to just go out and buy one and try it out.

The planer is only 2 years old, hasnt really been used all that much and sits in an unheated garage all winter long. Oh, I should say it worked fine last fall, didnt work this spring, so it happened over the winter. Unless a mouse crawled in it someplace that I havent found yet, I think its the capacitor. It would be more temperature sensitive more than the switch would.

Can anyone offer any troubleshooting tips/advise?

dickm

Reply to
dicko

Bad Breaker?

Reply to
Leon

Dont think so. I plugged it into a 30 amp circuit and it ran for a bit longer but still popped. Only this time there was a distinct smell of burnt something.

More info: I released the belt tension and removed the belts so only the motor is turning. Breaker still pops.

dickm

Reply to
dicko

That's nature's way of telling you to quit running the thing until it's fixed.

Reply to
LRod

LRod wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Is that a cap run or cap start motor? I think it may be a cap start. If so, then disconnecting the cap should let it run although you will have to give it a push to get it going. If a cap run style, then a bit more troubleshooting is necessary.

Plug that beast into a 15 amp circuit when troubleshooting.

Check the centrifical mechanism. If it is stuck that will keep the start cap connected which draws a lot of current and is overheating the motor.

Isn't the motor making a lot of noise? It should be pretty quiet.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

As you describe the symptoms it is most likely a centrifiigal switch that is bad, but also could be a bad capacitor.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

From what I can see is a cap start cap run motor. There are 2 capacitors. a 500ufd and a smaller one of which I forget the value.

The centrifigal switch appears to be in good shape. It is after all just a bit over 2 years old with little run time. I manually moved the switch and it opens and closes. Its not welded shut or anything like that.

The motor does seem to have trouble running smoothly. Its not that it makes noise, it's like it runs roughly, stubbles, never gets up to speed. And the smell from my little 30amp breaker escapade seems to be eminating from the capacitor holding box, even though things visually look OK..

I have a cap on order. Will let you know how it turns out.

dick

Reply to
dicko

The new start capacitor arrived today and it now runs like a top.

Thanks everyone.

Now all I have to do is put it all back together....

dickm

Reply to
dicko