decent tip to make rolling cabinets stationary

view here:

Limp Arbor

I have a problem with my router table that could be helped a lot by this..

The only obvious change that I'd make, as I work a lot with rare earth magnets, is to NOT epoxy the magnet to the foot.. For a couple of bucks, you can get matching cups for them.. easier to mount/reuse and a stronger hold..

remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

planer. It has wheel lock issues. This is the solution. Thanks, man.

Reply to
ROY!

Well it looks good on paper but how stable is it if you are pushing on it? Don't you push it to get it back on it's wheels? There seems to be a lot of stress on those piano hinges.

I am looking for a simple design for a bigger work bench and am looking more towards lowering and raising the wheels. Something not totally unlike the way the PM 2000 TS moves around.

Reply to
Leon

The solution used on the Delta Table Saw mobile base works well.

You won't go wrong patterning your solution after it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yeah I remember that one. My concern is the work bench is probably going to be a traditionally style, thick top, with a storage chest below. Weight is probably going to be up there and I really don't want to do any lifting to get it up on it's wheels or visa versa. I would not mind inexpensive hydraulic bottle jacks to lower the wheels or some type of screw jack.

Thanks for the reminder.

Reply to
Leon

A seperate mobile base?

I'll have to think about that, I curently have added 5 mobile bases to the pieces of equipment that do not have built in mobility. I'm actually hoping to go a bit more elegant but that would certainly would be a way to go. Thanks for the reminder.

Reply to
Leon

How about the rolling work bench plans video. See ABPW.

Reply to
Upscale

Yep, a simple step-on over center crank to bring the wheel into play.

Simple, Safe, LowCost.

3 out of 3 ain't bad.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

can you explain more?

Reply to
cc

I have totally worked around that problem by doing it the other way round with my over-and-under planer/thicknesser: It's the wheels that fold down, not the support. So when in use, it stands on its own sturdy feet, and when I want to move it, I fold down the wheels, lock the fold-down assembly with a small pushbolt and away we go.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

I don't understand why you don't just start with locking wheels - two non-swivel on one end and swivel on the other. They make swivel wheels which can have both the wheel rotation AND swivel lock. No lifting the cabinet that 1/4.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

one place temporarily is a short length of chain that I whip around the base of any caster wheel, from one on a cabinet to the caster on a utility trailer. The chain can be sized from small ball type chain that is used as a pull cord for a ceiling fan for small casters on cabinets to 5/16 link chain for the utility trailer. Match the size chain to the size of the caster.

Reply to
RLM

Good idea. I bought these ones from LV when I was moving my 600 lb entertainment centre into my apartment over twelve years ago. I made myself two sets of dollies using these casters and have been using these dollies ever since for other stuff. They're an excellent set of locking wheels.

Upscale

Murphy's law would indicate that I should wrap castors with electrical cords.. Seems like every time I try to roll something, that's what stops it.. ;-[

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

When I put my bench on 6 3" castors, I was concerned about having to chase it around the shop when I did planing, etc.

I planned to make 2-4 wedges that I could kick under the edge of the bench, for stability. They'd were gonna have a handle or something on them so I could jerk them out when I wanted to move the bench.

When I got done, the darn thing was so heavy that I have to heave with all my weight just to budge it. Haven't needed the wedges.

I still think they were a good, simple idea, and will try them on the next piece of rolling stock I make.

Old Guy

Reply to
Old Guy

Hello,

FWIW, I just happened to see the "Work Table and Clamp Cart" episode of The New Yankee Workshop recently, where Norm built a rolling work table that could be made stationary by pulling up on a cord that was attached to two hinged wooden blocks that locked a board (one on each end of the table) with two wheels attached to it in place.

As they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words. Hope this helps.

I planned to make 2-4 wedges that I could kick under the edge of the bench, for stability. They'd were gonna have a handle or something on them so I could jerk them out when I wanted to move the bench.

When I got done, the darn thing was so heavy that I have to heave with all my weight just to budge it. Haven't needed the wedges.

I still think they were a good, simple idea, and will try them on the next piece of rolling stock I make.

Old Guy

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

Make you a deal.

Go look at the actual Delta Mobile Base.

If you need more info after that, will try to help.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I used two heavy duty wheels and just the swivel lift mechanism from the Delta Mobile Base for my table saw/Jointer cabinet. There is a LOT of weight on the thing but is is not hard to lift one end while stepping on the swivel to lift just one end. Works perfect and is super stable.

You can see some pictures of the cabinet here:

on +all sizes to see the larger picture.

Reply to
Jack Stein

Reply to
Pat Barber