decal on wood

Has anyone ever applied a decal to wood? Did it adhere well? What type of sealer did you cover it with to protect it from damage.

Mike in Ohio

Reply to
Kenefick

You mean over a painted or varnished surface, don't you?

Reply to
Bill

Decoupage? I think lacquer is used to coat a decoupage and the wood is prepped, somehow, prior to the application. For the very thin paper used in most decoupage, there is a particular technique for applying it. I don't recall the specific name of the thin paper, but it's similar to the light paper used in packaging delicate gifts, more often womens' gifts. Tissue paper of some kind. Maybe do a search for decoupage applicating.

Otherwise, a decal, as I understand them, is a thick paper tape application. I would suppose lacquer would be appropriate for coating that, also, as long as the decal doesn't have some sort of wax finish/ coating on the decal face, itself.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Are you meaning a real "Decal" which is called a Decalcomania, which is nothing more than a paint film that you slide off gummed paper after wetting it. It will only stick to smooth non-porous surfaces not bare wood. It can be sealed but some lacquers and varnishes may damage the decal.

Or are you meaning self-adhesive label, that some people call a decal, that you stick onto the surface. Bare wood will dry out the adhesive causing the label to eventually drop off. It should also be stuck to a non-porous surface. Coating may damage the inks, vinyl, paper or adhesive.

Decoupage, sometimes confused with a decal, is covered by another reply.

Reply to
EXT

I have mounted the above decals to wood after sealing. I have made propellers for awards and mounted the likeness of the decals from propeller manufacturers on it.Seal it with dewaxed shellac, or lacquer before applying.

I don't know how they survived as I lost touch with that group of people.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Reply to
Kenefick

If there is much as stake here, do a "practice run" with a decal similar to the one you plan to use and a piece of wood you don't care about. Then after a suitable amount of time, see what it takes to scratch the decal off. I've seen decals hold up quite well without any additional protection. Everything just depends, depends, depends...

Reply to
Bill

I've done it years ago using urethane varnish (varathane) to cover and seal. The wood was varnished before aplying the decal, and after.

I've also seen them done with shellac, but that has it's own vulnerabilities, so it depends what you are putting it on.

Reply to
clare

wrong...

You always protect the decal by applying finish over it.

Reply to
tiredofspam