Darkest Wood Stain?

I'm searching for the darkest wood stain I can find, and would appreciate any recommendations.

Is staining to black even possible?

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York

Reply to
Searcher7

Try this:

Garage_Woodworks

Absolutely, General Finishes makes a Black Stain.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Other people have reported success in staining black with india ink. REALLY black. I havenn't done it. I have used occasional black magic marker on some touchups that worked OK.

Obviously you need to check for compatibility with the finish.

Old Guy

Reply to
Old Guy

Look into "ebonizing".

High quality drafting inks do great, as do some chemical treatments. Some black dyes are good, but many can fade to a blu-ish purple.

Reply to
B A R R Y

General Finishes' "Java" Gel Stain is about as dark a stain as I've seen off the shelf, and it can make even poplar look good stained.

Reply to
Swingman

Not long ago, I started a thread on this and posted my results after testing several finishes. The winner for ebonizing maple was a drop or two of undiluted transtint black spread on the board with a rag just dampened with d-alcohol. It was *black*. CharlieB suggested Design Higgins WaterProof Drawing Ink 4415 and I want to try it but haven't yet. Anyway, that thread was titled 'ebonizing maple and was originally posted 1/15/08.

Good luck,

jc

Reply to
Joe

Look here and scroll down to Lamp Black. While it is a milk paint you can wipe off for a stained look.

Leon

I just want to make sure that whatever I use will penetrate deep enough so that normal scuffing will not result in light colored "scars".