Crumbling particleboard repair

Hello all, The kitchen counter top in the house I'm renting is crumbling and dropping = into the lower cabinets and drawers. It's not something that can be replac= ed right now so I was considering applying a thin coat of thin viscosity ep= oxy to help fortify the particle board. Any opinions? Thanks,=20 Gene

Reply to
GeneT

g into the lower cabinets and drawers. =A0It's not something that can be re= placed right now so I was considering applying a thin coat of thin viscosit= y epoxy to help fortify the particle board. =A0Any opinions?

How much surface area is crumbling? I'd use Minwax wood hardener.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

into the lower cabinets and drawers. It's not something that can be replaced right now so I was considering applying a thin coat of thin viscosity epoxy to help fortify the particle board. Any opinions?

You are renting, happen to have a landlord or a superintendent?

Reply to
FrozenNorth

into the lower cabinets and drawers. It's not something that can be replaced right now so I was considering applying a thin coat of thin viscosity epoxy to help fortify the particle board. Any opinions?

Sounds like a land lord problem. Get him to come up with a solution.

Reply to
Leon

and dropping into the lower cabinets and drawers. It's not something that c= an be replaced right now so I was considering applying a thin coat of thin = viscosity epoxy to help fortify the particle board. Any opinions? Thanks, G= ene

If you aren't talking structural integrity even paint would stop the crumbl= e so painting on epoxy should be even better.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

g into the lower cabinets and drawers. =A0It's not something that can be re= placed right now so I was considering applying a thin coat of thin viscosit= y epoxy to help fortify the particle board. =A0Any opinions?

inquire, quietly, at your local housing authority to see if they think that it's a health issue or if it violates some other code.

If it does, and you explain it nicely to the landlord, it would be very tough for him not to take steps to resolve the issue.

I'm not suggesting a fight, I'm just suggesting that you see if you can get some leverage, up front. "I hate to bother you, but I did some research and ..."

Reply to
DerbyDad03