Kitchen Cabinets $$$$

How much should you expect to pay per foot of cabinetry? What are the advantages of "custom" cabinets? How much of a markup is there?

Reply to
HugYourPug

From $30/ft. to $600/ft. Custom cabinets fit the stuff you want into the space you've got, standard cabinets are ...well, standard.

Why do you care about markup? Care about quality and cost to you.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

"I" expect to pay $461.54 per foot for "custom" cabinets.

How much should "YOU" expect to pay? I am assuming you are asking about cabinets top and bottom.

It depends on what you want. If you want garage sale stuff, it should run you about $20 per foot.

If you want plain Jane stuff, more.

If you want home depot, figure a LOT more.

If you want custom, figure more.

If you want REALLY custom, figure a lot more.

"Expect" to pay for what you want.

I am waiting on custom cabinets as we speak to complete a remodel. The guy who is building them is an artiste. That is artist with an e to denote this guy has inborn talent. His stuff is in some of my friend's custom homes. For 36 lineal feet, and a 3x4 island, it is going to be $18,000 installed. This is with roll out shelves in every lower level cabinet. Rollout hardware on all the drawers. Lazy Susans. Pull-out spice rack. Custom shaped hood over rangetop. No drawer or door pulls. Lots of "custom" features.

Advantages of "custom" cabinets?

They look like custom cabinets. You don't pull the doors open and see particle board inside and the sheetrock because it has no back. They last longer. They work better. They can be fit to every piece of kitchen equipment. They can be made 34 11/16" long if that is the space you are trying to fill. They don't come off in your hand. They can have a space for every kitchen doodad you own.

How much "markup" is there?

Apparently a LOT. Home Depot quoted us "from $16,000 to $18,000 for the cabinets, AND 'about' 40% for installation." This was for the better looking stuff at Home Depot. Their total price would have been from $22,400 to $25,200 installed.

I built a custom home in 1984. I had a friend of mine who had a cabinet shop do the work. I had really nice cabinets made, and it ran me $4200 IIRC. I would estimate that this job is twice the size of that one. Things have gone up.

AND that does not include the granite work ($5k) or the tile ($till negotiating that, but the tile we want is $3/sf.)

We are trying to bring the job in for $40k.

If it doesn't matter, just put in any old thing. If it matters, call a custom guy who has a good reputation, and pay what he wants. Go and look at his work. Don't even fool with anyone who won't give you references.

In the end, you'll get what you pay for.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

?. ?. ? thats what you pay unless you gett crappola ,different house different job

Reply to
m Ransley

Thank you for your thoughts. We live in a house that would appraise for over $1,000,000 and do not want to underbuild or overpay. Our mortgage is such that we really don't have money to burn. I get amused at a wife who says the 10 year old car I drive makes us look poor, but I reminded her we have more if we do not spend it. Same with the house.

Reply to
HugYourPug

A real intersest is why do cabinets cost so much. There does not seem to be to much to them as opposed to furniture. There is a cabinet, some drawers and a finished door.

Reply to
HugYourPug

There is more to the cabinet than meets the eye. Yes, cheap ones are little more than a box and door, but high quality cabinets have quite a lot of very precise millwork involved. Some have more material, better engineering, better finish than some furniture.

Look at the construction of the drawers, quality of the hardware, the rail and stiles and raised panels in the doors.

Yes, you can also be sure the manufacturers and distributors make a profit. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

These things take a daily beating so they have to be better quality than those cheap entertainment centers you buy at your local Mega-Mart.

Take a look at the doors and drawer fronts alone. A good cabinet would have solid wood style and rail raised panel doors with concealed Euro hardware and a resilient finish.

Cabinetry is a competitive business (at least where I come from) so you pretty much get what you pay for.

Gary.

Reply to
Gary