Cutting slot using router table

That's a pretty broad brush you're using there (especially with the capitalization)!

Climb cutting isn't a bad thing - not having adequate control of a power tool is the Very Bad Thing.

All of the routed stuff in the photos at

climb-cut, with both the workpieces /and/ the router adequately controlled - without any hint of a problem.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Just picked up this thread again. I thought it was dead but it bit my ankles when I was weeding stuff out.

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 14:47:24 +0100, Morris Dovey wrote (in article ):

Hi Morris. My broad brush was rather sweeping... er.., I was particularly being general. :-)

I climb cut on most pieces, somewhere. Often to stop end grain blowing out and if I'm going round a curve, freehand, with a bearing I find that a final backwards nibble smooths out any forward-cut roughness.

I'd be wary of whacking straight into a deep cut going back'ard though, just as I'd be wary of starting a deep cut straight into the corner of a board and going for'ard. As you say, it's all about control. If you think about how the cutter is addressing the stock geometry everything should be reasonably obvious and all you have to do then is factor in how the wood grain lies and you're sorted.

I was replying to being told off because I advocated climb cutting a slot, remember? ... and in the face of chastisement agreed that willy-nilly use of the technique as THE general method is a Bad Thing . My whimsy probably obscured communicative precision, damn you and your eagle-eyed powers of observation !!!! :-)

Now I'm getting it in the neck from both sides. I never expected the....

Our threeeeee main weapons are:

-Loyal and unquestioning devotion to The Pope

-Surprise

-Routing so the leading edge of the bit pulls you into the work, not throws you out of it is generally safer, particularly if you're taking off a lot of stock in a pass and conversely, taking off very little stock lessons any risk.

That's four, isn't it?

Our FOUR main weapons are:

-Loyal and unquestioning devotion to The Pope

-Surprise

-Routing so the leading edge of the bit pulls you into the work, not throws you out of it is generally safer, particularly if you're taking off a lot of stock in a pass.

-Taking off very little stock probably means you have better control of the set-up so you can go in whatever direction gives the best finish.

-Never draw to an inside straight or top post a long reply to a short thread in a newsgroup

Our FIVE main weapons are....

Oh Bugger!!

Love what you've done with the protractor, btw.

Reply to
Bored Borg

ROFL :-D

Reply to