Cutting a slot on a TS vs. Router

I have always cut 1/4" slots with a router. I am now following plans for the first time ever, and they said to cut the slots with table saw (run one way then the other; open up the fence until it is the right width). It required a 1.5" deep slot, which would be difficult on a router, so I tried it their way

The TS is faster, easier, quieter, and tear out free. I won't be going back to the router.

How do most people cut 1/4" slots? Is there a downside to the TS I haven't experience yet?

Reply to
Toller

I cut them with the TS that way. When building chests with web frames I cut the slots in the center of the frame to accept the 1/4" panel this way. I also build lots of cabinet doors with bead board panels. I cut all the slots for the panels on the TS and then cut a stub tennon on the ends of the rails to fit neatly into the style slots.

The only draw back is that your slot ends up in the center of the board when you flip your board end for end. If you want your slot off center you have to run the board in 1 direction and adjust the fence with every cut vs. every other cut with the center cut slots.

Reply to
Leon

Routers may be easier to use on large pieces. Also the bottom is cleaner than anything you'll get on a table saw (of course this is only a concern if the edge of the dado/groove will be visible). I also find the "plywood sized" router bits handy at times but generally do as much as I can at the TS.

HTH

Reply to
Bestest Handsander

Plus, the table saw routine will get you an EXACTLY centered slot, no dicking around like iwth a router. Simple and accurate, what more could you want???

John

Reply to
John Crea

Reply to