using a router/table a jointer

Hello everyone, I have a Bosch tabletop router table and have been trying for days to set it up to edge-joint 3/4 stock for edge gluing. No matter what I do the piece comes out sort of teeter-totterish. I have a split fench using a 1/16 shim on the outfeed side which I have tried flushing up with the bering, or just a little shy. No matter what I do every piece of wood totters when I put it on a flat surface. (Tablesaw...) Anybody have any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I've tried everything but replacing the 1/2 shank Rockler straight-cutting bit! Thanks

Check your fences and table for flatness. Your shim may be causing a problem. I doubt a bit (even a bad one) would cause a teeter-totter.

Reply to
Phisherman

Are you maintaining consistent contact with the oufeed side of the fence once enough stock is in contact with it? Assuming everything is straight & flat as it should be, once enough stock is contacting the outfeed side of the fence, you should not be using the infeed side to guide the stock. Is it possible that the teeter-totter you speak of is just some snipe at the beginning or end of the cut? If so, it may be unavoidable but you can compensate by using longer stock than the finished size and cutting to length later.

All that said, though, I would recommend that if you have a halfway decent tablesaw, you look into one of the methods used for jointing an edge on the saw. I use a carrier-board and with a good blade can make a glue-joint quality cut very quickly, perhaps at the most requiring a pass or 2 with a jointer plane but usually that is not necessary.

Reply to
Larry W

In addition to all of the other things that have been suggested... is your stock flat? If the face of your stock won't lay flat on the surface of your router table, you're never going to get a good edge jointed on it.

Reply to
Doug Miller