Disc sander question

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how to remove disc sander's aluminum disc from the motor spindle? Disc sander model is Shop Fox W1708 1 HP 12", though I think the procedure should be similar for the majority of the same size models.

Thanks Vic

Reply to
Victor Knysh

Here is their web site:

the bottom of the page they offer this email for information: snipped-for-privacy@woodstockint.com

According to them:

Woodstock International sells wholesale to bona-fide Dealers only.

If you are not a dealer, but would like to purchase Woodstock merchandise, please call us at (800) 840-8420. We will be happy to help you locate a dealer in your area who carries the items that you are interested in.

Have you removed the abrasive paper? - some of these have a bolt at center threaded directly into the motor armature end. Some other systems have an Allen type set screw on a hub on the back side of the plate.

Reply to
DanG

With a little more goofing around, if you click on the picture of the sander, it takes you to a page where you can download the owner's manual:

DanG

Thanks for pointing me to the manual. I already had a look through and even removed the central bolt. But problem is that disc sits very tight and there is no way to grab the disc and pull it off the spindle. Though there is two M6 holes offset from the center which are not on the manual...

So my question was addressed to people who actually tried it...

Thanks Vic

Reply to
Victor Knysh

I haven't done it but would the two offset holes be to attach a strap of flat iron with two bolts. The strap would have a treaded center hole that a bolt can be threaded into against the motor shaft to act as a puller. This would be similar to removing a steering wheel from a vehicle.

Reply to
Frank Campbell

Sound like it is a way to go. Though two M6 in aluminum seems to be kinda weak. I afraid to cut off the thread...

Thanks Vic

Reply to
Victor Knysh