Homemade disk sander?

I have a 1/2 HP motor with a 1/2" shaft. I use it for all sort of purposes by attaching wire brushes, buffing wheels to it, etc. Also a diamond bringing wheel with diamond layer on the outer rim.

What I would also like is to find some sort of a "disk sander attachment", basically a plate that would go on a 1/2" spindle and be tightened with an allen wrench. Alternatively it would be a wheel that would go on a wheel arbor adapter (which I also have).

My question is, what are these discs called officially (disc sanding attachment? sanding plate? etc) and what size would you recommend for a 1/2 HP motor. Seems like 8" would make sense.

thanks

Ignoramus9377

If it were a lathe, it would be called a faceplate. Might want to post a query on rec.crafts.woodturning to see if someone there could help.

Me, I have a 12" sanding jig for my lathe. It's plywood. Can you bolt a plywood disk to an adapter?

Reply to
DJ Delorie

snip

9" is standard, you can buy disks that size or cut them from 9 X 12 sheets, plans for a sander using a vee-pulley and plywood disk here:
Frank Campbell

Yes, I think that it would be better to use a bigger motor for this application. I have a 2 HP three phase motor. I could buy a $11 pulley from McMaster and bolt a plywood disc to that pulley. Then I would have a more serious sander (with ability to use this motor for other purposes also).

See McMaster item 6245K57 for example.

Ignoramus9377

1/2 HP single phase vs 2 HP three phase (and size, also). i
Reply to
Ignoramus9377

Reply to
Bill Hall

Reply to
Leuf

You are so right.......... Could have bought some more sanding discs and still had beer money left over :>). Live and learn. Thnx Bill

Reply to
Bill Hall

Bill, how do you attach one to a shaft?

Ignoramus9377

Maybe this'll help your design:

tom

Tom

It is perfect, just what I was looking for. I think that item 09L33 is the right one for me and will be a 100% solution to my problemn. I will have a little 1/2HP disc sander attachment without wasting space on a separate tool.

Ignoramus9377

You may also want to look at a Shopsmith disk sanding attachment. It uses a 5/8" shaft, but an adaptor sleeve for 1/2" should be easy to fabricate.

Like this one:

are available all the time on ebay. I have one of the older aluminum ones and I think they are better. Search ebay for Shopsmith and you will probably find one going for $20.

Bob the Tomato

Reply to
Bob the Tomato