Cut List Software- Seeking Opinions

Hey I just read an old post where the writer was using CutList. Opinions about CutList, in terms of ease of learning and use? My largest project has had maybe 20 different sized pieces.

Edition ($29.95)

Thanks

Reply to
K. B.

Try a Google search. I'm not normally one to off someone to Google but Cutlist has been discussed at great length numerous times here.

Reply to
CW

I got the Silver edition of CutList a while ago and so far I've used it on just one project where there were 36 different-sized pieces and a total of over 120 separate pieces to be cut. In all I ended up cutting up ten sheets of plywood. I used TurboCad to design the piece, a worktable with drawers and cabinets underneath, and then transferred the dimensions from the drawings by hand into CutList. For that first project, I spent an evening learning how to use the program and putting all the pieces into it. I was pretty well satisfied with the amount of time that it took to get up to speed.

You can specify how you want the grain to run on each piece, or let the program decide for itself. If you know the materials costs for your sheet goods it'll calculate materials costs, and do a bill of materials report, as well as the expected diagrams of the sheets and the cuts. The real lifesaver was the program's ability to print labels. I printed them out on my laser printer on standard adhesive address labels, and as each piece came off the tablesaw I slapped the matching label on it. That really kept the confusion down when I went to start putting things together.

So I'd recommend that particular level for a hobbyist at least. If you're a pro there are higher levels that may come closer to meeting the requirements of your shop.

Good luck, Tom Dacon

Reply to
Tom Dacon

Google it is. Thanks.

Reply to
K. B.

CutlistPro is GREAT.

also use Visio Professional for some of my layout drawings for case work. I hav found that it's deadly accurate.

Reply to
news.east.cox.net

That version of CutList Plus will likely serve you well for small projects. The program is easy to understand, performs its stated purpose for existence very well, and though rarely necessary, the developer is responsive with tech support. .

I have been a user for a number of years, own the Gold version, and fully utilize it's Master component capabilities with as many as 36 plus cabinets in one project.

On a scale of 1 - 10, I would give the program an overall 8 ... there are always those little nice-to-have features that only a hard user can appreciate, but always seem beyond the ken of software developers.

All-in-all, a good bang for your buck.

Reply to
Swingman

"Tom Dacon"

Ditto ... that one feature alone can be worth twice the price of admission on a big job. It certainly keeps the shop dummy from cutting an already dimensioned part, accidentally stacked against the scrap wall, into an urgent I-need-it-now smaller part. DAMHIKT.

Reply to
Swingman

Not really anything to learn, very simple to use.

Reply to
dadiOH

Try their downloadable demo. I used it for about an hour, then placed an order. CutList Plus LT.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Thanks to Tom, Swingman, dadiho, news.east and Lobby for your replies! Sounds like my next purchase.

All the Best,

- KB Saint Charles County, MO

Reply to
K. B.

You might want to check out Sheet Layout. I use it all the time.

Frank Drackman