Cross Posted - Somewhat on topic for all...

Cross posted so that if you read two or all three forums, you only see this once...

Did you know that you can type in a calculation within Google and it will tell you the result?

Try typing in "2.75 inches in MM" or even "270 miles in inches" and see what it gives you...

Heck... Try "1 mm in miles" LOL. Wonderfully useful or a big time waster... all up to you. :)

Just learned all this from a cool site... And NO, I'm not associated with Google or the site!

simply know that many of us here in these three groups calculate all types of measurements from one format to another all day long so... Free tip of the day.

If you respond with content appropriate for your current newsgroup only, please delete the others from the routing so we keep the traffic down...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Joe AutoDrill

Or google Power Toys, and load the calculator.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

I think it was "Joe AutoDrill" who stated:

Yup.

The right answer, of course ;^)

But, good as it is, it won't translate miles-per-hour into furlongs-per-fortnight. Which makes it almost useless.

Almost.

-Don

-- It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats

Reply to
Don Fearn

I typed "18 miles per hour to furlongs per fortnight" into the google search box and got back:

18 miles per hour = 48 384 furlongs per fortnight
Reply to
skuke

I think it was skuke who stated:

DANG! It DOES convert everything!!

-Don (impressed)

-- It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats

Reply to
Don Fearn

Here's a downloadable, free (GPL) converter that runs in any browser with javascript, regardless of operating system:

Larry

It won't convert lead into gold :-p (metal content)

Reply to
skuke

I put (some huge number) in MM and it did the conversion up to a point, the started answering with "inf MM" for infinite. :)

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Will it convert a screaming, obnoxious, snot nosed rugrat into a decent human being that is a pleasure to share public places with?

Then I'd REALLY be impressed.

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

My hobby pages are here:
the castinghobby FAQ:
member map is here:

Ron Thompson

When you find that product, you let me know! I'll not only buy the first few models, but buy ALL the stock in the company...

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

By the way, Joe, thanks for this post. I found it really useful.

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

My hobby pages are here:
the castinghobby FAQ:
member map is here:

Ron Thompson

Hell, that's old technology ... it even multi-tasks.

At least it did for my Dad. It's primary function was to keep his pants up, but it also served a "conversion" purpose as above ... you just have to a responsible enough parent to apply it.

Reply to
Swingman

I'm relatively careful of the off-topic stuff I post, but this was one of those "I wish I knew this years earlier" moments so I figured it might be the same for others.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

If you use Google SMS (send text message to Google from your phone), you also get the conversion. I love Google SMS because I can find the weather by

w 80301 w Boulder

or find phone numbers by

optometrist boulder, CO

or the conversion mentined in this thread

3 in to m

or word definitions like

definition meticulous

You can also do simple math like 42 x 2 and google will return 42 x 2 = 81

Reply to
Never Enough Money

| You can also do simple math like 42 x 2 and google will return 42 x | 2 = 81

Eh? How's that again?

Morris Dovey

LOL...

I got his point but missed the error...

If I could get free SMS, I'd be using it the same as him.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Joe AutoDrill wrote: ||| You can also do simple math like 42 x 2 and google will return 42 ||| x 2 = 81 || || Eh? How's that again? | | LOL... | | I got his point but missed the error... | | If I could get free SMS, I'd be using it the same as him.

You can also get some real-time conversions - Travelers might find "convert USD to EUR" or "convert GBP to USD" convenient...

Morris Dovey

I thought that is what Valium was for.

Bill

Reply to