Sorta On Topic - Removing Smell From Wood

I'm no woodworker per say... I've got enough trouble trying to cut a 2X4 to length... But I know where to go to have tough questions answered so...

I've got a doorway with hard oak flooring running up to it and a pine door frame. My tenant's cat pissed (technical term) all over the doorway and floor. We removed the rug near the door and exposed the Oak. We did our best to clean it and then we installed a plywood floor and ceramic tile (blasphemy here, I know...)

However, no matter what I've tried, I can't get the urine smell out of the pine and the little bit of oak that is still showing... Even with the windows open, the smell is pretty strong.

Any ideas?

I'm about to bring in a professional cleaning company to work on it...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Joe AutoDrill

Have you tried using an enzyme-based cleaner? When we were housetraining our puppy a year or so ago we used a product called Nature's Miracle. It supposedly kills everything associated with the urine. It's a clear liquid, so you might be able to wet a paper towel with it and let it just sit on the affected areas and soak in.

I've never used it in this manner (our oak floors were sealed with poly fairly recently, so we didn't have to worry about anything soaking into the wood), but if I were looking at a $700 repair/ refurbish bill, I'd take a shot at the $15 solution first. :-)

-Nathan

Reply to
N Hurst

I just shot an order off to my wife to pick this product up... Someone else just gave me a good review of it at the same time so it must work.

Thank you.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Joe AutoDrill

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in news:mYbci.7411$pd5.7317@trnddc02:

The sooner you get this done, the better. Time is not your friend.

We had a problem with this in the house we bought. Ended up tearing out subfloor down to the dirt, and replacing everything. The parts that couldn't get removed, without tearing down the exterior walls, got sealed with leftover varnish poured on. Took ten days to clear the air and replace the subfloor. Sealed the subfloor with BIN Zinsser before the new carpets went down. Pain in the backside...

The enzyme blend was essentially useless, but it was a place to start.

Good luck!

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch