Toxic smell from Wood Burner

We installed a wood burner about 6 months ago before installing it the chimney was swept and it worked well. We are unable to use it now as it gives off a very toxic smell, we have had it cleaned and the chimney swept again, but the smell is still there.

Reply to
house13

The brand and model is?

If it comes with a catalytic converter that likely is your issue.

Check the damper settings and burn a load of wood off until very hot.

Then readjust the damper/converter.

Reply to
single pole pickup

Put bacon grease on some firewood, gives it a nice smell.

Reply to
mysterious traveler

On Tue 27 Feb 2018 11:51:57p, mysterious traveler told us...

Bacon grease may overshdow the unpleasant acrid toxic smell, but shouldn't be source of the toxic smell be determined? Could it be the type of wood, or wood that has been treated? I would think that pure clean wood without any additives would produce a clean smell when burning.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I'm assuming the 'wood burner' was designed to be used and not a decorative piece with some sort of coating that's burning off? I have a neighbor whose wood stove smells bad at times but he burns kitchen trash. Burning plastic stinks.

Reply to
rbowman

As usual this is a one post wonder from HomeMoanersHub, with no follow up posts and some very important info missing, eg what kind of wood is being burned, is it different from what was put in it before, identifying the brand/model of stove, etc. Also, it seems the objectionable smell is inside, but what does the smoke outside smell like? If outside it's normal, it would suggest that something is coming off the finish of the stove inside the house. Any kids that could have poured something in it? It seems very odd that it would start off gassing anything after 6 months of use, if it's been used.

Reply to
trader_4