Cremation Urn needed

I have been asked to make a cremation urn for a friend. Any suggestions as to size or anyone having some nice plans would be appreciated. I think it will be in the form of a box.

Thanks Tim

Reply to
tdup2

Didn't this topic come up here within the last year or so?

Might do a Google search to see what the archives hold.

In the meantime, here's a link or two to get you started

To determine the volume (size) you'll need:

Check out hardwood urns on the left column

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I did one for my mom's ashes. I made it so that the cardboard urn that the crematorium would just fit inside. That way we didn't have to open the cardboard one. You might check with your friend to see what the container size is that the ashes are in now.

I made my mom's out of black walnut, laser engraved the lid, and we buried the it with her ashes inside on the land that her grandfather homesteaded in the Oklahoma panhandle. It's one of the most cherished things I've ever made even though I'll never see it again.

Will

Reply to
NorthIdahoWWer

Try Bill's site, Tim... He made a really nice one...

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

What was your friend like? Think about a design that will reflect his personality.

A friend of mine was an traditionalist woodworker. His dream was to retire and spend all his time in his barn making sawdust. Unfortunately cancer got him just after retirement. The urn his two best friends made for his ashes was a scale model of his barn complete with a wood shingle roof and copper roofed cupola. I set his work bench up with tools and if you open the door, there is a picture of him standing in the doorway. Many parts came from doll house suppliers and others were custom made. Now he'll always be where he wanted to be. RIP, Don.

Tom

tdup2 wrote:

Reply to
Tom

"Tom" wrote

Talk about personal service. Not only was that very creative and thoughtful, I am sure that Don approved as well.

And it shows what a good friend you were too.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Interesting that this came up. I was wanting to build miniature (traditional shape) coffins to be used as 'urns'. I was planning to assemble with box joints at all intersections using wood varieties as available with a copper liner. My family thinks I'm a bit off on this.

place has plans for fullsize coffins, but I think you can get ideas from the pics and downsize from there. About 3-4 quart capacity should be about right. I'm guessing a that few weeks to custom build one (decide on wood, shape, size, jointery, finish) after someone dies may be a bit long.

It would be nice to see what you come up with.

Pete

Reply to
cselby