On a British water urn, how does the thermostat work?

How does a thermostat on a British hot water urn work?

Are they different from smaller American coffee makers? (They have big coffee percolators >The type of switch I was discussing has the bi-metal inside the switch unit,

not on the surface of the water container, therefore it is not a passive >device soaking up the heat of the water. ....Push enough current through a

bi-metal strip

and the strip heats up and breaks it's own circuit. The amount of current >flowing though the bi-metal strip can be regulated by a variable resistor >attached to a dial.

Does this sound accurate?

This strikes me as using a bimetal strip just to make a timer. Am I right and have you ever heard of such a thing? If one is not using electronics, how is an interval timer for a high current device like a water urn made?

Would it be done by running current *through* the strip, as it says above?

These urns, and coffee pots in the US do have a method for keeping the water at the same temperature, when the red light is on, hot but not boiling, and the particular urn being described has iiuc two modes, one that uses an interval timer, and one that does measure the temperature.

Does anyone know about this from a British pov?

Reply to
mm