Course hand saw for resawing

See the last page or so.

Since I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that you're trolling, I won't be responding to this thread any more. If you're not trolling, and live in a universe where "set" means what you say it means, and not what the rest of the universe says it means, more power to you.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Trolling - see if you have 20+ years in the group I suspect I have more.

Now look at Cut 10 figure 23 rip teeth. Notice the non-diamond shape and the slight bend. That isn't set to my thinking - I quote from the article by Isaac Smith:

"Set varies from none in saws that are heavily taper ground and used in dry hardwoods, to a hundredth of an inch or more in coarse saws used in wet woods."

I don't cut much green wood with a hand saw. Double Buck yes. Hardwoods and dry has "None to a hundred of an inch" None for hardwoods and hundred of an inch for green wood.

Thanks for the facts that you don't seem to read. Look below figure 24. And then the example figure 25.

None means ZERO(0).

The pictures have to show something to show the measurement area.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Figure 24 quite clearly shows set in a ripsaw in the link below, i have already provided details of manuals showing set in ripsaws , if you look on the disstons archives it quite clearly shows ripsaws have set.

Disstons produced one ripsaw for a very short time designed to cut dry hardwood without set, it was discontinued, although it was an excellent saw tradesmen found by putting a set on it aactually performed far better.

Heavily taper ground rip saws although experimented with never really found favour , they where in general heavier gauge steel to facilitate the heavy taper needed to accommodate free movement through the timber, couldn't cope well with resin or sap and still had issues with binding, hence the reason Disstons dropped the 120 from its line, its use unless set was extremely limited. Its quite clear your assertion that ripsaws were not set is wrong conformed by your own evidence.

No one has denied that some manufacturers experimented with no set ripsaws , however the end result was they were usually discontinued after a very short time because of the limited use.

Reply to
steve robinson

Martin Eastburn wrote in news:lT66z.22517 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx04.iad:

You seem to be the one that isn't reading. See those words "heavily taper ground". Those are the only handsaws without set, and those are to all intents and purposes non-existant (I doubt any have been made since before WW2).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

You are looking at green or almost green pine. That needs some set.

If you are cutting hardwood, walnut, Oak, etc NONE is the word in the sentence. See the QUOTE - that is letter to letter from Isaac Smith.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Those are the saws that are used on Hardwoods. How many of you use a handsaw on hardwood ? Most use it on pine or sometimes ply. Fur and Pine are not hardwoods. If you have a lower cost saw it is for construction. If you have an expensive saw it is for hardwood or both.

Mart> Martin Eastburn wrote in news:lT66z.22517

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

It also states on heavily taper ground saw plates .

I don't know any saw manufacturer in the western world that produces as a stock item mass produced ripsaws without set of some kind

Reply to
steve robinson

Many Hardwoods are actually far more resinous and softer than some softwoods

Oak, Elm, Teak will not cut without set infact most hardwoods won't unless your using timber that has a moisture content below 10%

In years gone by it was rare to see timber off the rack hitting those levels as all timber was air dried

Most seasoned timbers came into the shop around 15 to 22%

Infact it was common practice to cut up your sections straighten and square them off then leave them in the building you were working on for a couple of months before you worked them .

The only exception was the old cabinet makers shops who would have a fire going year round , but the sections they used were small in comparison to general construction / joinery.

Reply to
steve robinson

Martin Eastburn wrote in news:w8q6z.11518 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx07.iad:

What? I think I agree with Larry, you're just making absurd statements to troll the group.

Of course I use a handsaw on hardwoods. So, I'm guessing, does everyone else in the group (you, perhaps, excepted). This is a group for cabinetry after all, not carpentry.

Offhand I can't recall ever using a handsaw on ply.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

He is arguing about a specific saw that was marketed by disston for a very short period of time, suitable for one purpose fine accurate cuts in thin stock, if he bothered to check on the disston website , it also states that many tradesmen actually added set to the saw.

This was one of the reasons why it got dropped , although a fantastic product its market was limited as other saws were just as good but serviced a larger section of he marketplace.

The manufacturing process for sawblades in the 1800s couldnt produce the fine grade steel with suitable tensile strength , blades were generally a lot thicker than they are today to take out the whip .

Reply to
steve robinson

I haven't seen a ripsaw in a hardware store in 40 years. I suppose you could buy one on line. But having a ground saw isn't that uncommon. They do that on table saw blades and other products.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

So you are an old school wood worker and are without a table saw, bandsaw (sliding table naturally) or any power tools.

I use a saw to touch up and do small work. I don't work myself to death sawing a lot of wood by hand. I use my mind not my back.

Mart> Martin Eastburn wrote in news:w8q6z.11518

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Fine, Martin, since you're the world's expert on saws, tell us where to get a taper ground handsaw, new, today.

And if you can't, then grow up and admit that you're being an ass.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Martin Eastburn wrote in news:5WK6z.8322 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx14.iad:

Well, there's certainly no evidence in this thread that you use your mind.

Personally, I use the right tool for the job. I use a handsaw for cutting tenons, because I'm in no hurry and it's easier than setting up the tenoning jig on the table saw. I use a handsaw to cut long boards to rough length, because that makes them easier and safer to handle on the table saw. I use a handsaw for other small stuff, when it's easier or quicker than going to a power saw. Whatever is the right tool for the job.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

steve robinson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It's hard to tell, actually, what he's argueing about. He started out by saying ripsaws have a different tooth shape (true) and no set (false). Since then he's made a variety of ludicrous statements, most of which suggest he hasn't actually done any woodworking in decades, and doesn't really remember what he did.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Martin Eastburn wrote in news:xSK6z.8321$ snipped-for-privacy@fx14.iad:

As I pointed out elsewhere in this thread, Lowes and Home Depot have them (they're crap, but they're there).

There are several on-line vendors of quality saws who will provide them sharped as a ripsaw.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Eat your words.

Product Information: The taper ground blade on this 26" Lynx rip handsaw provides friction-free cutting, and the hollowing of the back reduces weight, improving balance and letting the saw tip start a cut in confined areas. Each Lynx saw is individually produced by a craftsman who ensures that you get a reliable tool that holds a sharp cutting edge, and will not fail under constant hard use. Setting and grinding of the teeth is done by hand so that proper tooth geometry is maintained for the best cutting action. Handles are carefully crafted and fitted to blades with solid brass mounting bolts.

- See more at:

Mart> In article , snipped-for-privacy@consolidated.net > says... >>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Spalted Walt

Eat what words? I told you to put up or shut up. To my surprise, you put up > > > >>

Reply to
J. Clarke

But it _still_ has SET--

"Teeth precisely set and sharpened to ensure the best possible cut - See more at:

"

Reply to
dpb