Corbel sizing

I'm going to put some wainscoting on three sides of a square kitchen island. The size of the top of the island is 48" x 48" and the back side has an overhang of about 10".
Corbels are not needed structurally, but I'd like to put a couple in for aesthetics. My question is, what size corbels should I use? I have never used them, and I don't want to choose a size that's too small or too large. A google image search brings up this picture:
http://store.wellsfargoestore.com/merchantstaging/1739/corbels%20at%20island%20end.jpg
Is that about right? Those look pretty big to me.
Those are ugly as heck! But it's not just aesthetics we're talkin' here. You could go smaller, depending on the top surface materials' rigidity. If the top seems spindly, support at -least- 2/3rds of your overhang. I think. Tom
On 18 Jan 2006 12:55:25 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@thomaszone.com wrote:

My suggestion would be to just make some cardboard cut-outs to just get an idea of height and depth. Have someone hold them where you want them and stand back to have a look. Then get a chair (if you will ever be sitting there) and while the person is still holding your cut-outs see which ones don't bang against your knees. Use that size.
Mike O.