Construct Oak Door Jamb

Anyone ever attempt to make an oak door jamb set (interior)? I want to do something a little different for bathroom, but can't find anything but pine. Is this something that's reasonably do-able?

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Yes.

You probably won't get there shopping at the Borg.

Reply to
DanG

Yes, assuming you have the tools and skill to use them. Finding oak isn't hard...any lumber yard would have it; most Home Depot etc.; many, many online places to order it.

Your next problem is deciding whether to use red or white oak.

Reply to
dadiOH

It's easy with basic woodworking tools!

Go look at high quality prehung doors and you'll see it's not much more than three boards, two rabbets, and some mortising. You can attach the stop strips after the door is hung.

This past winter, I made maple door frames for a commercial project that came up with free maple doors with no jambs.

Reply to
B A R R Y

It seems easy. What seems a little difficult for me given my bench-top TS is that most jamb thickness appears less than a 1-by. So, I might have to somehow shave the thickness down, unless the rough opening is large enough. And since the standard size is 4- 9/16", I'd have to rip down a 1x6 on the TS, and somehow clean up the saw marks, I guess with a ROS.

Other than that, how hard can it be? :)

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

It's pretty easy but I'm surprised you can't find blank oak jambs locally. Otherwise just ripping down 1x6 oak will work. The edges are normally undercut which you can accomplish by ripping at a slight angle or using a jointer. You should be able to use 1x thick material (3/4") as long as the opening is 2" wider than the door size you want to use.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Trust me, 3/4" will work fine. In fact, with a hardwood door, a tad extra will help keep the jamb straight. Any rough opening should have a decent amount of shim space, so you shouldn't have anything at all to worry. If it's THAT tight, take 1/16" to 1/8" off each side of the door with a plane or router and straight edge.

The jambs I made were for 48" wide, 7 foot high, maple skinned, particle board core doors, which were HEAVY! I don't think anything less than 3/4" would have been OK.

Reply to
B A R R Y

It's pretty easy but I'm surprised you can't find blank oak jambs locally. Otherwise just ripping down 1x6 oak will work. The edges are normally undercut which you can accomplish by ripping at a slight angle or using a jointer. You should be able to use 1x thick material (3/4") as long as the opening is 2" wider than the door size you want to use.

Mike O.

Reply to
PDQ

Yes! Although I made mine out of pine, it was one of my first ever woodworking projects. I actually bought a Craftsman RAS, router, and butt hinge template set for the purpose.

The house we lived in at the time was a pre-fab job, a rancher with a truss roof. None of the interior walls were load bearing, and all of them were 1-by studded, so a standard pre-hung door would not work, and I couldn't locate any that would. We replaced 4 interior doors, and I had to make the jambs for all of them.

Go for it!

Reply to
Art Greenberg