confessions of a small engine hitman

Only on substances that are known to the medical world to cause or influence the progression of cancer or other adverse conditions.

It is about the consumer having enough information to make informed choices. You may discount the evidence at will, nobody is forcing you to read the notice. Feel free use all the lead pipe you want for your drinking water - clearly there isn't any problem with it in Pennsylvania - Lead must work differently there than everywhere else.

Wow. Proof by single ancecote. Damn, I gotta get one of those tractors now.

BTW - I'm not a big fan of Houston, particularly in the summer, but your ignorance of the rest of the country is appalling.

FWIW: As gas gets old, it turns to varnish and clogs up the passageways inside the carburetor, not allowing enough gas to get to the engine.

Scott Lurndal

The trouble is that according to the state of californica just about every substance known to man is "known to the medical world to cause or influence the progression of cancer or ther adverse conditions".

I mean in the real world how many people have gotten cancer from electrical cords?

When everything you see has a warning label on it, the warning label no longer provides information.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

*snip*
*snip*

I can't recall if it was a joke or an actual happenstance, but I seem to recall something where warning labels were recalled because they contained products known to the state of California to cause cancer or other reproductive harm.

I do remember certain gel candles were recalled because they would catch on fire.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

My favorite is the packages of peanuts, clearly labeled as such, that in addition to the label, say say "WARNING: Contains peanuts".

Reply to
J. Clarke

In over thirty years living in California, I've never seen an electrical cord with a prop 65 notice. I have seen brass plumbing fittings which are alloyed with lead marked with the prop 65 notice.

See, here is where your logic fails, since everything _doesn't_ have a warning label.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Perhaps you missed where he said "Maybe to you" I simply clarified it was not my claim, it was the National League of Cities claim. According to them, any city over 300,000 is a very, very large city.

By disagreeing with my statement he is in reality arguing with me. I simply pointed out it was the opinion of the National League of Cities he was arguing with, not me.

Fuel went bad in the early days. Since then, refineries have developed methods to keep fuel from going bad so quickly. I know this from 1st hand experience, and from my brother, who worked in a research lab for Gulf Oil as a Chemical engineer. No need to drive cars in the 1920's to have a clue.

I don't have a problem, my engines have been running like a top with no stabilizer whatsoever for over 60 years. How about your's?

Right, I'm not a chemical engineer in a major oil companies lab. My brother was, and he uses no stabilizer in his engines w/o a problem.

Welp, Honda apparently thinks anything over a month old requires adding stabilizer. If your fuel goes bad in a month, I'd say you are storing it out doors in the rain without a lid...

Why

I dunno, ask them, they have been putting additives in fuel for a very, very long time. If one company sold fuel that lasted a month before gumming up your engine, and another fuel that lasted a year, at the same price, what do you think would happen in a competitive economy?

But it doesn't.

Look at any large metro area, whether it is the NYC area,

As I'm sure Pgh. also does. It is after all, a "large" city with a history of pollution. So what? Are you saying because areas have pollution, refineries quit adding additives to fuel to make it last more than a month? If so, what evidence do you have of that? I have 60+ years of experience that says it ain't so in my "very large", polluted city. You have a silly ass manual written by a marketing/lawyer team at Honda with no empirical evidence, which holds as much weight as a cancer warning on a plastic flashlight in California...

Reply to
Jack

Like if I eat my plastic flashlight I might eventually develop cancer?

No, it's about hand wringing fools assuming stupid stuff, and plastering dire warnings on everything in site.

You may

The problem of course is after a few million stupid, misleading warning labels, no one pays any attention to them, so if one is actually true, it is ignored.

Feel free use all the lead pipe you want for

WTF are you going on about? 60+ years of not using stabilizer w/o a problem to using lead pipes in our drinking water... Have you gone off your meds?

16 plus small engines over 60 years w/o stabilizer, 3 rather new, w/o nary a problem is hardly a single anecdote.

I didn't know I was discussing the rest of country, other than where I live and what I looked up regarding the population of Pgh and Houston. California's stupid warning labels is common knowledge to about everyone on earth.

We were talking about gas from a month old (Honda) to 2 years old. Nobody said anything about 40 year old gas. Mostly gas left to winter over in a small engines. I've gone a few years in 2 cycle gas for weed wacker and chainsaws. Making no claims about 30-40 year old gas... Well, yeah, if you are going to put stabilizer in your gas, make sure it doesn't dry up and turn into a gummy mess. I mentioned earlier that a guy gave my brother an old snow blower that he had stored with stabilizer in it, and it wouldn't run. Had to tear down the carburetor and clean out the gummy mess.

So, the only time in over 60 years we had a problem with gas, was when someone had put stabilizer in it. THAT is perhaps anecdotal, but true nonetheless.

Reply to
Jack

Ahhh. That explains brass hose fittings and garden sprinklers. Thanks!

I also have wondered if the chemicals/lubricants used in the manufacturing could cause cancer for the factory workers, and was a warning that the manufacturing of the product was the problem, not necessarily to the end user.

Reply to
Leon

If any city over 300K is sited as a very, very large city.... Houston should be classified as a very very very very very very very very very very very very large state.

If that is true, you should sell them, I am sure the manufacturers would want them back to see why they last that long. You could get millions of dollars for the rare specimens.

I bet you brother would be better at explaining, to you, why stabilizers are need for most all small engines that are used in very very very very very very very very very very very very large states.

Honda, Stihl. Brigs & Strattem. Echo, Toro, Kawasaki, Milwaukee Robinson, just to name a few.

Jack you live in a relatively small area that does not have chronic pollution caused by gasoline engines. You are just being belligerent at this point. I suggest you do some research on your own as you don't believe 99% of anything that differs from you "Opinion".

I think I clarified that this if pollution caused by vehicles.

So what? Are you saying because areas have

Now you are just being stupid.

Reply to
Leon

Go ahead and eat it. I don't give a shit what you do. I do wish to have all the information available to me so I can make an informed choice.

Please cite a flashlight that comes with a prop 65 warning. If you can, which I find unlikely, you'll find that, just perhaps, the plastic may contain Bisphenol A.

From the Mayo Clinic:

"Some research has shown that BPA can seep into food or beverages from containers that are made with BPA. Exposure to BPA is a concern because of possible health effects of BPA on the brain, behavior and prostate gland of fetuses, infants and children. Additional research suggests a possible link between BPA and increased blood pressure."

I can cite a site that is quite a sight.

You're the one that brought up prop 65.

Actually, it is by definition.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Again, you want to argue with National League of cities be my guest. I simply repeated their claim, and gave the link so you can argue all you want.

Please do tell? We would be more than happy to sell any of our old equipment that still runs like a top w/o stabilizers to anyone that wishes to part with the millions you so flippantly speak of.

I never doubted they didn't warn to use stabilizer for gas over a month old, I just stated in my experience it was hogwash.

Not my opinion, my 60+ years of first hand experience. I don't doubt Houston could be so polluted that gas can't live there more than a month, or that Houston gas has had to put crap in the gas that causes it to rot in a month or so unless the buyer puts in additives that makes it last and last. I'm just really, really, really, really skeptical.

So you have zero information regarding refineries no longer adding additives to make fuel last more than a month, requiring users to add such stuff? Who'd thunk.

Reply to
Jack

Can't, I never heard of prop 65. I, thankfully, don't live in the land of fruits and nuts.

If you can, which I find unlikely, you'll find that, just

Regardless of what it contains, I had no plans on eating a flashlight.

Never bought up prop 65, don't even know, or want to know what it is.

I guess it depends on what your definition of is is, or it is, or something equally ridiculous...

Could it be you ignored the warnings of eating too much lead?

Reply to
Jack

also seems that i used gas oil mix for two strokes in the four stroke so maybe that has created the problem

might explain the greenish buildup i found in the carb float

found a fellow online that separates the ethanol out since his goldwing does not like ethanol

seems like a lot trouble to go to though

Reply to
Electric Comet

One where the plastic is made from corn starch, with the right spicing might be edible!

"It's a joke son" to quote Foghorn Leghorn.

Reply to
Markem

As is replacing all the fuel lines made of rubber and rebuilding the carburetion system with gaskets that are good with alcohol, otherwise the gas just leaks out all over.

Reply to
Markem

for a motorcycle what choice do you have

you have to burn ethanol fuel since that is all there is now with some scattered places offering ethanol-free

and further it is hard to confirm ethanol-free

maybe avgas would do

Reply to
Electric Comet

I've seen them and I don't even live in California so you must not be paying attention.

Here's an example:

And there's that excessive literal-mindedness which makes you such an pain in the butt to try to converse with. You've missed the point entirely.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Buy alcohol-free gas? AIUI, most premium is (a political thing).

It's available all over here. That's what I use in my tools. It's expensive but not completely outrageous.

...and you then real gas is expensive!

Reply to
krw