Comparison of two hand saws, and questions

OK, a followup. I was out in the shop and checked my English saw. The blade is engraved (or more likely stamped) with "Jos Haywood & Co" in an arc with "Sheffield" below it. To the left of this is "improved" and to the right is "cast steel". The saw has the old split nuts, so it's probably quite old. Disston and, IIRC, most other American manufacturers quit using split nuts about 1875. I doubt if England was too far ahead or behind.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

See how old I am?

It would probably be about 20 years old. My further research (after running my mouth too much with brain only half firing) came up the same.

I wonder how many manufacturers were smart enough to pick up some of Disston's old lore and tout their saws to be the best made? The Sandviks I've had the pleasure to use, looked just like the plastic handled Disston saws, like the D-95, wich I only have one of.

Tom in KY, too quick on the draw again.

Reply to
Squarei4dtoolguy