cold

So you are saying that you are going to close up the pool?

Allen (In the Elmira area where it was -11F this morning)

Reply to
allen476

wrote

I ferried a sailboat across part of Lake Erie in November, with a water temperature of about 36F, and an air temperature of about 15F with the wind blowing about 25 knots.

Nothing like that damp cold.

Reply to
Morgans

--------------------------------- Before coming to CA, Lake Erie was my home waters.

Sailing in November was limited to taking the boat to be hauled for the winter.

November on the Great Lakes: AKA: The Wicked Witch.

Remember the "Fitz"? It went down in November.

The amount of money to get me to set sail across Lake Erie (30-50 miles) in November hasn't been printed yet.

A front can come thru and give you a completely different set of weather conditions in less than an hour.

Just my $0.05.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The pool is closed but the outdoor grill is still in use.

Reply to
Nova

Outdoor BBQ seldom stops unless there is too much wind.

But... these stories I read here about 'cold'.... Try working a summer job on The Arctic Trader, which was a Shell fuel supply ship in Frobisher Bay. I said a 'summer job' as that was the only time of year the ice had a few gaps in it to get through. Standing watch looking for icebergs it didn't have to get too windy for it to take your nose off in about 2 minutes. When the spray off the bow would crystallize into ice in mid-air it is cold. Or taking a load of aviation fuel to Thunder Bay in December coming across Lake Superior on a windy day...

Worst part is, you never get used to it, in fact the opposite is true, you become cold quicker and take longer warm up again. But it was a great way for a student to make money, free room and board, no apartment or car to keep and really no place to spend money..it was also a real eye-opener in terms of natural beauty and when you met people up in the Arctic, they were always interesting folk. Coat Guard, military, social services, research scientists, crad sharks, and musicians...

Reply to
Robatoy

Social Services?

Reply to
user

No, just tough it out

len

minus 4 F

Maybe I should turn the heat on?

/canuckistani

Reply to
lennn99

Ayup. There are some serious drinking/drug/abuse problems in some of the tucked-away villages up the North Atlantic coast and inland.

Reply to
Robatoy

Hey, Yack. I still have a picture of Mario Nunez grilling in several inches of snow on a balmy Buffalo day in winter. Youse guys is kwazy.

-- If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying? -- Shantideva

Reply to
Larry Jaques

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0-- Shantideva

Looks like the bananas are going to survive. 33F today.

Reply to
Robatoy

Heh. Crazy like an (arctic) fox. Just wait, C-less... There's f-all to do for six months of the year except plan for tomorrow night.

"Why? What are we gonna do tomorrow night, Brain?"

"The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world!"

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

What? -Heat- your -shop-, fer Crom's sake.

Uh, methinks it's time to turn off the boob tube, boy.

-- If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying? -- Shantideva

Reply to
Larry Jaques

She was a level-headed dancer on the road to alcohol And I was just a soldier on my way to Montreal Well she pressed her chest against me About the time the juke box broke Yeah, she gave me a peck on the back of the neck And these are the words she spoke

Chorus: Blow up your T.V. throw away your paper Go to the country, build you a home Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches Try an find Jesus on your own

Well, I sat there at the table and I acted real naive For I knew that topless lady had something up her sleeve Well, she danced around the bar room and she did the hoochy-coo Yeah she sang her song all night long, tellin' me what to do

Repeat chorus:

Well, I was young and hungry and about to leave that place When just as I was leavin', well she looked me in the face I said "You must know the answer." "She said, "No but I'll give it a try." And to this very day we've been livin' our way And here is the reason why

We blew up our T.V. threw away our paper Went to the country, built us a home Had a lot of children, fed 'em on peaches They all found Jesus on their own

(John Prine- Spanish Pipedream)

Reply to
Robatoy

Ah, to be young and foolish, again!

I have seen that happen not in Nov, and it kicked the shit out of us. The only choice at the time was throwing out the anchor. It held.

In the western end, the shallowness made the wave faces (12 foot estimated) pretty damn steep. The outboard kicker was replaced with an inboard before the next year. After more experience had been gained, we put in two reef points, and got a storm jib, and a sea anchor. I would have sailed through it with that new equipment and knowledge.

Reply to
Morgans

A balmy 0=B0F this morning. Dog did not want to stay out too long, dragged me back inside after 5 minutes even with her coat on. A serious ass-kicking expected from a weather system crawling up from Detroit/Chicago... already labelled STORM OF THE CENTURY by those who live for the day they can call a storm a STORM OF THE CENTURY.

Reply to
Robatoy

----------------

Not to worry.

You live in a banana belt, right?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Not terribly difficult given the century is barely over a decade gone so far ... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

I do indeed. But when it gets really cold, you start hearing about kids hurting themselves plunging from the diving board, through the ice, into the swimming pools...kids...... kids I tell ya...

Reply to
Robatoy

Not to mention the increase in dental visits, from eating frozen bananas.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

The forecast for my area calls for the possibility of 8" to 16" between Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning. A piece of cake.

Reply to
Nova