Cleaning 'real' knotty pine paneling

replying to crystalroy82 , Melissah wrote:

I read your post and tried windex. . It worked like a charm!! After cleaning all the wood I polished it with old English lemon oil and it looks beautiful.
Any chance anyone had luck using any of this stuff to remove dark streaks c aused by rain coming through a window? We just bought a house and at some point water leaked through onto the pine paneling through a couple of the w indows. Not sure if it is mildew, but its definitely some kind of dark stre ak. I'm going to try the dollar store cleaner method, but a contractor als o suggested we use something like tilex. Trying to figure out what I shoul d do!
Kathy wrote:

Do the dark streaks extend downward from nails?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 6/4/2016 3:44 PM, kitty wrote:

OMG you have a gallon in your garage right now?????!!!!!!!
Get it out of there right now, this should NEVER be stored in your garage right now.
replying to kitty, Pamela Hooper wrote: I just bought a house with knotty pine walls thru the whole house can it bring it back to the light color it was there is one spot that is clean clear and light
replying to crystalroy82, Pamela Hooper wrote: I am going to try what you did the dollar store brand right I hope it works. And it will bring back the look of a place a round Morris hung it is light the rest of the walls are dark.
I have used TSP for many years to remove old grease and grime from old varn ished wood. However, as others have pointed out, you won't want to use TSP unless you are committed to revarnishing what you have cleaned. I have al so used TSP on painted surfaces, but beware, you don't need much elbow grea se or water. Just a damp rag soaked in TSP solution (based on measurements on package) and wrung out well. Too much scrubbing may remove some of the old paint.
TSP is used as a de-glosser before repainting or refinishing old varnish/ur ethane, etc. I am getting ready to put a new finish on my tired knotty pin e. Fortunately, mine is gorgeous except the finish has dulled over time. I am going to clean with TSP and then add a new coat of Urethane.
Hope this helps.

Back in me yute, we had a house that had knotty pine T&G paneling throughout. It was up forever and the fact that my mother smoked cigarettes didn't help the finish...
Wash down with a cloth and Murphy's Oil Soap, a soft brush if necessary and dry it.
Worked well.
On Thursday, March 4, 2010 at 9:34:50 PM UTC-5, thermo102 wrote:

On Thursday, March 4, 2010 at 9:34:50 PM UTC-5, thermo102 wrote:

I us
On Thursday, March 4, 2010 at 9:34:50 PM UTC-5, thermo102 wrote:

replying to thermo102, Anna wrote: I have real knotted pine 1962 - MURPHYS OIL SOAP - if some grease build up, add a little dawn to it with HOT WATER. Don't drown the wall just a wet wipe. It's finish is is LINSEED OIL which can be purchased at just about every hardware store. Brush it in, let it dry. It takes time for the wood to suck up the linseed oil. It will be tacky for a couple days to a week but will harden to it's shine high gloss. Hope this helps you.
replying to thermo102, John Wiedmann wrote: I'm entering this conversation about seven after it was posted. Hopefully someone is out there who can advise. We have a "real" knotty pine paneled den, built by me I n 1985. It was finished with urethane. It has not been subjected to cigarette smoke, and the kitchen, although adjacent via a doorway, has an exhaust fan that gets rid of cooking fumes pretty well. The paneling has yellowed over the last 32 years. Some individual panels are remarkably darker than panels immediately adjacent on either side. It is not clear why this is the case - but it is. I've read about five or six different cleaning products to use, so it appears a few trial tests in inconspicuous areas will determine which is most effective. My goal is to lighten the wood and then refinish it again with either a urethane or polyurethane. Question: how does one effectively deal with the grooves? Could (should?) they be cleaned (with whatever product is chosen) with a softish nylon bristle brush? Also, has anyone used such a scrub brush to apply the elbow grease for this type of project (flat surfaces as well as grooves)?
On 6/27/2017 5:14 PM, John Wiedmann wrote:

The only way to lighten and brighten the wood is to remove the finish and the top layer of the wood that has oxidized over the years. It may go through to the point lightening will be minimal.
You can try wood bleach but to do an entire room bould not be too easy. I'd paint it before doing that method. http://www.woodmagazine.com/materials-guide/finishes/get-the-color-out-with-wood-bleach