circular saws and Skilsaw

If doing volunteer work, all the more reason to get the track saw. Make it easier on yourself, these thing are a breeze to operate and can replace a table saw for many operations.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah! Who'da thunk it? LOL

Reply to
Leon

at the other end of the spectrum, may I recomend a Festool >track saw? ;~) Who would of guessed that you'd suggest a Festool?

LOL...You've got to wonder when the handle/knob is almost as big as the blade.

Reply to
Leon

Time for the pusher to strike again.... ;~) Oh yeah you have to get the vac too. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Virtually all "consumer" level saws, from any manufacturer, are dodgy at best. You only get what you pay for (if you are lucky). The same companies usually also make "trade" and "professional" level tools.

You need to know what to look for - and lowest price is NOT it!!!!

Reply to
clare

Lots of work horses still earning their keep around these parts - Old Order and Amish farmers.

Reply to
clare

Silly person. Simply drop it on the concrete on its OTHER side to square it up. That's likely how it got OOS in the first place.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Never, ever underestimate the power of a Craigslist search.

Looky, looky!

$450 for what appears to be a like new Festool TS55 with the rail and systainer. Prefers pickup but will ship.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Oops, it's $425, not $450. Anyone interested, go for it. I have no intention (actually, with SWMBO watching, I don't have the guts) of going for it. Sweet deal though!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

How far should I drop it, I have access to a man lift that goes up to 84 feet, but if needed I can probably pitch it 12 feet or so up :) Nah, I'll give it back to my son, say thanks, and point out its shortcomings.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Oh, please! Use your Ford hammah to finesse it into alignment for him before you give it back, at least.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I still have my dad's old Skil saw all aluminum body. Only a 6.5" blade but it's got more power then a lot of new saws. I'm guessing it's at leaar 50 years old. I won't be parting with it. But I do have TS55 when needed.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

I have a Hitachie circular saw, it was a good saw for what it cost and lasted several years of hard use, but the brushes have give up the ghost and due to its age, I'll replace it rather than repair it.

Faced with a job away from home, my son generously offered the use of his Skilsaw HD5687, what a piece of crap. I needed to rip a long board, clamped a straight edge to it for a guide, began the cut and the saw bound up within a foot. On further inspection the saw foot is 1/8 inch out of square with the saw blade, making it useless for practically everything. It is all riveted together with no way to adjust the alignment of the foot to blade. Reminds me of an old AMC car, where the body and chassis were never quite in line with each other and the whole mess went down the road like a dog with its ass end off to one side.

I have never owned any "Skilsaw brand tools" and this pretty much guarantees I never will.

basilisk (done bitching about cheap tools) ================================================================================== I don't know if I just got lucky or they were made better back then but I have a Skillsaw, a sidewinder, that I bought in 1983 for the sole purpose of cutting rear fenders on M1 Abrams tanks. Using an abrasive wheel, I cut many of these. It did some serious work. I don't know what those things were made of but it was the hardest to cut metal I ever got ahold of. A torch wouldn't touch it. I still have the saw. It works fine, bearings in good shape and cuts along a strait edge just fine.

Reply to
CW

Their worm gear saws were VERY good - most of their products 30 years ago were pretty good.

Reply to
clare

The first circular saw I ever saw was a Skill Saw. My father was a carpenter and he bought one back in the 40s, right after WWII. It was a big heavy thing that came in its own big red metal box. I think that Skill must have been the first circular saw for general use. At least we always referred to circular saws as Skill Saws. That one did last for a long time. But then that was a long time ago.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

basilisk wrote the following on 3/2/2013 9:20 AM (ET):

Not reading all the responses following yours. Changing the brushes is easier than any other repairs to an electric motor. I've done it more than once, the last time for my central vacuum cleaner motor. The brushes are cheap. Just take one of the brushes to an electrical repair store to get the same sizes. You liked the Hitachi circular saw and not the replacement one, Why buy another when the repair is cheap and easy to replace?

Reply to
willshak

On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 14:37:43 -0500, willshak

He's looking for an excuse to buy some latest and greatest new technology.

It doesn't have to be a good reason, just any reason that he can use as motivation.

Reply to
Dave

I would be sorely tempted, but that joyous season is upon us, I had a good year last year(for which I am grateful), having to save all the dead presidents I can, to fork over on 4/15.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk