Circular Saw Electric Brake

What exactly is an electric brake on a circular saw, and is it worth the extra $50 - $60 to have one?

Thanks.

-Fleemo

Reply to
fleemo17

Jim Behning

Wow, I wonder if they could use that technology on a table saw? You could call it something like Saw Slow. Maybe, Stop the Saw. I think it should be mandated in fact.

Oh, crap here we go again!

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On 2 Jan 2005 19:47:53 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

When you release the trigger, the blade stops in a couple of seconds instead of 20-30 seconds. Safety will be greater (not a sawstop Ediwin ) but the saw is still dangerous. You also do not have to wait so long after each cut to let the saw stop. Saves time on multiple cuts.

If you are talking US$ I am surprised it's an extra $50-60. The principles of operation are simple enough AFAIK.

Reply to
Old Nick

principles of operation are simple enough AFAIK.<

Yes, U.S. dollars. Actually, the price difference on the Milwaukee models seems to be between $30 and $45 at most retailers. I was able to move up to the Milwaukee 6394-21 that has an electric brake for a mere $23 at ToolUp.com. That's a buck a digit plus a few other bodily odds and ends. :)

I appreciate the input from everyone. Best regards for a great new year!

-Fleemo

Reply to
fleemo17

On 3 Jan 2005 01:16:13 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Yep. the saw slips, and you could lose the odd end!

Reply to
Old Nick

Reply to
fleemo17

On 3 Jan 2005 16:11:55 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Ironically, I have white hair, and a longish white beard. Could do with a few kilos off, too, but not as bad as himself. I cop a lot of crap at this time of year.

Reply to
Old Nick