Chisel Plane (DIY)

Make a chisel plane from a chisel and scrap wood. It can be used as either a rabbeting plane or a shoulder plane. Experiment with different bevel angles and bevel up or down!

Let me know your thoughts.

GarageWoodworks

could get some tear-out when you use it as a rabbeting plane in some situations But hey, I'm impressed! You made it look easy! Nice work!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

See current Shopnotes for a couple plane plans and how to's.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Yep, dat's a nice. Gotta try that.

Reply to
J. Clarke

can get pesky to remove after every stroke.

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I suspect you are correct. I might need to open it up a little more. I think I can just nub off a little at the bandsaw.

Thanks.

=A0 =A0 -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Or file it with a distributor points file. Remember those?

Jewelcome.

I meant the round hole (throat), not the (mouth) opening slit, but do both if needed. Angle the top of the mouth away from the chisel so it stays out of the way as shavings fill it.

I've found that a carving knife works well for "countersinking" the throat. Dremel it if you're more of a Normite bent. Rounded edges (like a pair of universal scissor handles) works for me.

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What? :^)

That's pretty shmart! thanks again.

=A0 =A0 -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

The dilemma with that approach occurs when it's time to lap the plane. Some old wooden plane builders did just the reverse--so they could lap the plane and not open the throat (much).

Bill

Reply to
Bill