Cheap paint

Does anyone know where I could buy discounted paint in Glasgow? I have a wooden fence almost 200 feet long that needs painted both sides. I can't afford to buy a top quality paint therefore it was suggested to me that I look for a shop/factory that sells paint that is discontinued? Do you know anywhere in Glasgow or nearby that I could buy cheap paint from? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Anonymous

Check out all the paint stores. They usually have quality paint returns for $1 a can. Of course, you can't be too fussy about color to get a good deal.

Reply to
Phisherman

You probably won't find this response to be helpful, but... if you're on a tight budget, you really can't afford *not* to buy top quality paint. Only people who have money to throw away can afford to buy crappy paint. Top quality paint rarely costs even twice as much as crappy paint, but (a) lasts three to five times as long, and (b) requires half as many coats to do the job. Which costs less: two coats of $12 paint, or one coat of $20 paint?

Ask at local hardware stores and paint stores about buying paint that was mixed incorrectly (wrong color). Most paint dealers usually have a few cans like that around. The downsides are that (a) your color choices are limited, (b) the colors available aren't always particularly attractive, and (c) there may not be enough of any one color to do the job. The upside is that you can sometimes get top quality paint at a discount of 75 or 80 percent.

Doug Miller

It is the best advice thus far. I see It's like the saying about tools around here about buying the best and only crying once ... of course, I've seen the inexperienced waste high quality paint by improper surface preparation, so there is that to consider.

Reply to
Swingman

Check with your local landfill. Where I live, it is illegal to thro liquid waste into the landfill, so they have a special househol hazardous waste station where they collect paint, oil, pesticides, etc They have several shelves of "good" paint and chemicals that someon threw away, but that you can take home for re-use. I've picked u quite a few partially used but otherwise fine cans of paint and stai this way. I also get most of my lawn chemicals here. One time I eve picked up a full unopened case of white latex calk - it worke perfectly, and another time I got a new gallon jug of agricultura strength roundup.

Also, check your local thrift stores - a lot of times people will dro off paint at un-manned collection sites. You can often get it for fre as they will have to pay to dispose of it.

From experience, if you mix enough different colors of latex pain together you often end up with a dirty beige/brown color. Also, mak sure that you stick to the same general type of paint if you ar collecting partial cans and mixing them together...i.e. don't mix late with oil.

Good luck

-- makesawdust

Reply to