Cabinet Maker career?

Is anyone here a cabinet maker? Does it pay well? Is the job interesting and satisfying or is it boring? Do you have to work overtime a lot? Where do you go to train in this field and what kind of training do you have to get? Is there currently any shortage of cabinet makers?

Reply to
wizzzer

cabinet

You didn't say where you were from so I'll assume the US. Check out this link from the US Bureau of Labor Standards.

jo

It can, I know of one that makes well over $100,000 a year. Depends on how good you are.

This is very subjective. What I find boring you may find excieting. This goes for fishing, baseball, being a barber, welder, or doctor. Do you want to work in a productions shop or in a custom shop?

Hmm, sounds like you are looking for minimalist work. Maybe being as associate at Wal Mark would be more suitable as they barely get 40 hours.

Try the American School of Cabinet Making. Check out apprentice programs.

There is always work for the really good ones.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What is wrong with not wanting to work over 40 hours a week on a routine basis?

The government set the normal work week at 40 hours per week for a reason.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Oh boy, this is where the thread goes downhill...

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson

My interpretation of the question was noted by my answer. Nothing is wrong with a 40 hour week, but most people considering a specific career don't look at overtime as a basis for making the decision. That may be a reason to take or not take a job with a specific company.

What if the linemen that are out in storms to get your electric service back stopped because they already had their 40 hours in? Sometimes you have to do what you have to do and do it with honor, not begrudgingly.

Now, you may ask what is the basis for my interpretation. That is based on my experience. I've hired hundreds of people over many years. I've been asked questions like, "do I have to work overtime". No you do not have to. But, based on my experience, young people that ask that are some of the laziest workers I've ever seen. They want to get paid for 40 hours, they only want to work 20 or so and try to do just the bare minimum to get by.

FWIW, I don't hire high school dropouts either. While not finishing high school was common many years ago, it is rarely necessary not to finish. Again, from experience those that can't make it through 12 years of school can't make it very well in the working world. (Yes, there are exceptions but the majority are lazy).

I get applicants all the time that have a line like: I need a job. I really need a job. I want to work. I have to work to make my car payment. So then I hire them. 50% never show up, 2% disappear at break time, 40% last one day.

If you think I'm a workaholic, you are wrong. I'm "at work" for 45 hours a week. Sometimes I work 45, other times I work much less (like right now). OTOH, I like being here. To me, it is not work as I have no set hours, come and go as I please, and work with some very nice people. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

A lot of jobs have occasional overtime and that wouldn't be an issue for a lot of people. A job where you are expected to work overtime week in and week out would get to a lot of people. You might make more money, but you can never enjoy your money.

The auto industry often offers or requires overtime work. Workers become used to the extra money and sometimes run into trouble when the overtime is no longer there.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

That is in the eye of the beholder. I know a few people that making money is more fun than anything else they could do. They are usually the exception, but I have one fellow here that will work as long as we let him and would (and sometimes does) gladly work 60+ hours. You may sit back and admire your latest woodworking creation, he'd rather look at a pay stub showing overtime.

They do, though, make a livable wage at 40 hours in most cases. Depends on how you want to live. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Auto workers do quite well at 40 hours per week, especially for minimally skilled labor. There are still those who look at overtime as normal wages after doing it for years and get burnt when it goes away.

Politicians don't want to lose the local Ford plant because of the all the good jobs it provides. The plant produces the Ford Ranger exclusively and sales are way down for that vehicle. Rumors keep circulating that the Ranger may be discontinued and the plant closed. Ford's sales continue to slide so it is unlikely Ford would something else there.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

We started a furniture cabinet shop in San Francisco. It was the height of the boom years but the second year we brought in 150K with one fulltime and one part time partner. My partner is now running the shop and has two employees and is doing very well. SF is a hot market with lot's of designers, architects and money. I didn't find the work appealing. My partner did. max

Reply to
max

You talk about lazy workers, how about insensitive bosses who couldn't care less about the health of their workers and make them stand on their feet for long hours, damaging their health? How about bosses who treat their workers as if they are machines and simply discard them when they wear out? All I'm asking for is to work 8 hours on most days and to get a 15 min break every two hours. If there's going to be many

12 or 16 hour work days that kill my health and/or if the boss doesn't like you to take breaks , I don't want the job. I've already had my health damaged by previous jobs and I don't want to go into another job where the bosses couldn't give a shit about your mental or physical health and just work the f*ck out of you until you can't take it anymore. What's wrong with helping employees stay healthy?
Reply to
wizzzer

No one can MAKE you do that. Unless you live is some third world country, most of the modern world lets us choose where we DON'T want to work. We can't always get into the places we'd really like, but no one forces you to go to a place that treats you badly. Many years ago, people fought for better working conditions and won. Some still alllow themselves to be treated like machines instead of people. While I'm not a union supporter, the unions banded workers together to rebel against such practices. It worked.

If you worked for our company, you'd get those breaks. Most would give it to you as a matter of policy You would not be discarded and in fact, welcomed if you are one of the older reliable workers. In 18 years, never a layoff even in slow times. Lazy ones quit no matter what you give them for breaks.

So don't work there. You asked about a particular career. No matter what line of work you do, some places will treat you like crap, others will regard you for what you are. If you don't have the physical stamina for a physically demanding job, don't look for foundry work but don't think that sitting at a desk all day is easy either if the boss is a prick. I worked at places I did not like. I quite and went elsewhere. Don't try to tell me that you can't quit because you have a family, bills to pay, jobs are scarce. Been there. Found my way out.

Happy workers are healthy workers. I can think of many in our crew that have not taken a day off for sickness in years.

Good luck with any career or trade you choose. More important than a particular trade is the company you go to work for. If you don't like them, QUIT.

As I stated earlier, I enjoy my time at work. Some days are easy, some are busier. NONE are stressful because I won't let them be. IMO, stress comes from inside, not outside sources. Hectic, yes, but that just makes it interesting to overcome the obstacle of the moment. Just like playing a game or solving a puzzle. Yes, its fun. I think I have one of the best jobs in the world.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski