Cedar deck spacing

I am putting in a cedar deck and wanted to get some opinions on spacing the deck boards. Important details are that my boards are 2x6 cedar and that I live in Oregon (i.e. it rains here sometimes). The boards seem pretty dry, especially compared to the PT I bought for the joists.

I searched postings and found advice ranging from butting them together to leaving 1/4" space. I'm leaning toward about 3/16".

Thanks in advance.

-Greg

Reply to
Greg

Hi Greg

I just finished my deck. I used 5/4x6 cedar. I used about 1/8" spacing. It's only been about a month since I finished. It's already shrunk enough so that the gap is a lot wider then it was. Think about that when you pick a gap size. Mine is more then double in some places.

Jack

My e-mail address is real. Feel free to use it. I know how to delete spam.

Reply to
Jack Forbes

I live in Oregon too and I used 1/4" spacing on mine. In hindsight I wish I'd have gone with 1/8" instead. 1/4" is just perfect for maple seeds to fall into and get stuck. It's a real PITA digging them out individually by hand.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher