Help Making Walking Stick For 94 yr Old Father

My father-in-law is 94 years old and just started haveing trouble getting out of his chair and walking.

He made a walking stick out of an old yellow broom stick and put a rubber tip on it, but won't take it to stores or restrauents because of it's appearence.

I cut a branch off a walnut tree in my back yard (1 1/2" diam at the top,

3/4" diam at the bottom & 5' long) and stripped the bark.

I sanded everything smooth and used fiberglass tape to tape it to a piece of angle iron to straighten it.

QUESTION: Where should I let it dry & how long should I let it dry before I stain and finish it.

Reply to
Tom H

I lost my 86 year old father a couple years ago after he fell and broke his hip at 84.... those last 2 years of his life were nothing but Rehab sessions and trips to the doctor...and finally a wheel chair..PLUS the frustration (he hyperactive all his life) he had to deal with..

I would strongly advise that you go out and purchase the best damn walking stick you can find no matter what the cost...

Just my opinion...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G