Care and feeding for old table saw?

or get a pulley that clamps to the shaft. they are a bit pricey but do the job.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

I think I've got this solved, but I havent attempted to go the store today. There is already a keyway, and I assumed that the set screw was at least hitting the bottom of the notch in the shaft. But the screw is wider than the keyway, so it was only making contact at the outer ridges. So as soon as I find a real key, I should be set there. Until I took it apart, it didnt look like it had a real keyway - just a slanted notch that the set screw sat in.

I've pulled out the arbor, and the bearings feel like they could use a bit of help but they're pretty good. I dont have a press so I'm going to leave them alone for now.

Reply to
Joe Bott

Patently flawed reasoning. For one - if you had a car built in the 20's or

30's or 40's or 50's, and you did drive it to work every day, you would most likely drive it on local roads and not at interstate speeds. Under these conditions, many if not most of these cars would hold up as well or better than your favored crumple zones. Not all crumple zones are created equal and there are a ton of cars out there today that offer less protection to the occupant compartment than did the tanks of yesterday. For the more frequent low speed collision, the big tanks will hold up much better than your poorly designed crumple zone. They allow less intrusion and the risk of being thrown about is quite negligible in low speed impact. Your logic here focuses on one aspect of a topic and attempts to broadly generalized based on that one narrow aspect. For those who only know of older cars from what they read on the internet, the older cars deformed quite well. They had real sheet metal that "crumpled" and absorbed impact at low to moderate speeds, while at the same time protecting occupants from compartment intrusion. At higher speeds, they admitedly had faults, but that owed more to the absense of a restraint system - easily addressed to a point. Facts in context are much more meaningful than broad generalizations.

Safety does not lie in the devices, but in the proper use of the devices. False security arises from ill placed confidence in the device itself.

Even more thankfully, as sensational as a line like that sounds, it was never reality.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

No... if it isn't a lexan blade guard it clearly isn't a good blade guard.

Me 'neither.

My father-in-law has one of these saws and I'm not particularly fond of the tilting table, but I've used the saw and it cuts very well. No less safe than any other saw. There would be no good reason not to clean one of these up, tune it up, and put it to use. It's got limitations, but it wasn't designed to be the end all saw either. Like any other tool, use it as it was intended and enjoy it.

Reply to
Mike Marlow