Can't hear my cell ring in the shop.

I cannot feel the virator or hear my phone when I am working. Nor do I want that damn thing near my body for long periods. Has anyone rigged up a stobe or a very loud ringer for their cell phone? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tor

Reply to
torlissa

You probably should not be using a vibrator while woodworking and operating power tools anyway.

Reply to
Leon

I just took out my phone in the shop and now use a answering machine. It is a distraction.

Reply to
Phisherman

The very *last* thing you want in the shop is to be startled, whether by a vibrating phone/pager or a loud ringer.

You can find strobes for wired phones at a lot of places that sell telephone equipment -- that's how deaf people know when the phone rings, so they can press the button on their TDD. I have no idea if something like that is available for cell phones.

IMHO, voice mail or an answering machine makes the most sense.

Doug Miller

aren't they one and the same?

dave

Le> You probably should not be using a vibrator while woodworking and operating

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Reply to
Wilson Lamb

Good point, but I always have the phone in the shop. Turn the ringer off if you'd like, but in an emergency, it would be handy to be able to hit the 9 1

1 keys. If for no other reason, do it so your wife won't bitch that you are bleeding all over the carpet when you run in the house to use the phone. Ed
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

RE: Subject.

Don't need a damn nurse maid, thus don't have a cell phone.

If you call and get the answering machine, leave a message and I'll return it.

Don't want to leave a message, it's your loss.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That's the seed of a good idea. You'd want to be sure and locate the phone and monitor side outside the shop or near the door. Otherwise, I'll pick up your screaming power tools and amplify them, as well.

Reply to
Bob Davis

Reply to
Bob Bowles

The easiest would be to have regular phone line in your shop and that way you could transfer your cell phone calls to your phone. Its easier to find the light hook up to your regular phone line. Radio Shack would be a good start.

D.Martin

Reply to
D. Martin

Friend of mine is never in a hurry to answer a ringing telephone. He says "If it's important, they'll call back. If it's not important, it's not important."

Doug Miller

Hum a nurse maid... ;~) I always looked at them as Electronic Leashes and something that screws up traffic.

Reply to
Leon

I have one, but I never turn the damn thing on until I need to call somebody.

I don't even have an answering machine, and I'm always keeping the phone line busy with my modem.

Keeps the phone spammers down.

If you need to get in touch with me, that means you're my boss. If you're my boss, you know the alternative way to get in touch with me. If you're not my boss, I don't want to buy what you're selling anyway.

Nobody ever calls here except phone spammers and my boss. Everybody I know sends email. It's more convenient that way.

Reply to
Silvan

the better new active earmuffs are great. they quit the loud sounds (keeps them below 82db's) and it amplifies the quiet ones. you can talk while tools are on or here something drop or hear the phone or whatever.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Do you have these Steve? And where did you getum and how much?

Reply to
Leon

Thanks all'yal for the comments. I do think that at some point in time a strobe will be made for cell phones as they are for landlines, for us folks that run a business and need to answer the phone.

If anyone sees one, give me a holler.

tor

Reply to
torlissa

I got them from MSC at 200.00 I bet a little shopping around and you can find them for less.

I have the active model. the cool thing is they have a rechargeable battery that lasts about 50 hours. I use them with a in ear headset that I just sit against my ear to listen to books with. I can now have the volume pretty low. I think these are the same

Steve Knight

Thanks.. I'll check those out.

>> --

Reply to